Sunday, October 25, 2015

Nepean Triathlon 1.48:31 - 8th A/G


Rats tail done, Winnie blues tucked under the sleeve and it was time to head to ‘Black tooth territory out West for the famous ‘Nepean Triathlon at ‘The Riff’. Early start and up at 4am for the trip and soon caught up with fellow HuRTS crew Pete Walker, Kroney, and Champ.

Plenty of time to set up before the 1k swim, 30k bike and 10k run that was to follow.

A nervous start but was in good spirits as I felt I’d done the work and was looking to post a strong time to kick start the season. They’ve changed the swim this year preferring to stage it all around the grandstand area to make it more supporter friendly. It then means we have to swim around 3 right turn buoys.

Position myself and have a great start and feeling comfortable as we approach the first turn, that was until I get a smack on the head and pushed under on the buoy. Heart rate goes through the roof and I start a mini panic..... try to stay calm but find I’m struggling for breath so go into Tommy H mode and begin the breaststroke, still no good and decide to flip over and just swim on my back as I try to get to the 2nd buoy. Feel as if the race is slipping away as to is my now shot to pieces confidence as I begin the 600m swim home. I slow it all down and just try to get through it best I can and I’m mighty relieved to stand and come out the water even if my time is very slow at 19.46  With no wetsuit to worry about my T1 is not to bad and I’m out on the bike in no time. My concerns pre race about the bike leg are soon put to bed as I find I’m working well and going past loads as we hit the turnaround at half way and head for home. Have a guy sitting with me but use the downhill section to put in a big effort and get rid of him as I’m managing to hold a healthy 38.5k average for the 30ks.

In off the bike in 47 mins before heading out for the two 5k lap route around the Regatta, See the first couple of ks go through in 3.53, and 3.50 feeling comfortable but never really pushing the pace. These Tri guys are very average (at best) runners so it looks like I’m flying past them but in truth it’s all at a controlled pace unlike any running race I’m ever in.

Come in for the 10ks in a time of 38.52 averaging 3.53s to stop the clock in 1.48:31 and later find out that it got me 8th in the age group.

Overall view of the race, solid time and very happy with the bike leg, run time was what I was expected but the swim was the major disappointment, especially after all the work I’ve done over the past month or so. I’ve been swimming with HuRTS mate Kroney and can normally sit on his feet yet he was able to swim 16.xx so putting 3 minutes into me?

Just not used to the fighting, pushing and boxing that goes on but it’s something I suppose I’ve got to get used to if I’m to push the leading guys in my A/G.

I’ll give myself 3/10 for the swim, 8/10 bike and a 7 for the run leg.

Official result and break down of the race.


 

Congrats to Pete Walker who despite being hospitalised recently was too good for his age group rivals taking out 1st spot, Kroney’s efforts was worthy of a 3rd spot , and The Champ despite losing his watch in the swim finished strong for 8th as well.

For my efforts I was happy to clean up again on the betting stakes, Pete may have won his race but still couldn’t cover his allotted handicap over me, the Champ lost more than his watch as I’ll take a nice bottle of Red from him, and my old client will also be paying up after I beat him by the closest of margins ..... ONE second separated us, but a wins a win J

Only one lose , and I’m forced to buy Kroney one of those 4 litre casks of wine that he prefers (he’s all class that bloke)

 

Stayed around for the biggest raffle/draw in history post race and for the 10th year running I came away with Sweet F’all once again.  If going to the Dark Side (North ) is bad, then going West is just traumatic and I’m mighty relieved to get back to the Inner West and head out for a few arvo beers with best mates before Old Glesso joins us with his bag of Nappies for a yarn.

 

Great race and still one of the more popular races on the tri calendar – Just wish those boys weren’t so aggressive in the swim leg and didn’t bash me up so much J

 

Met up with another blog fan post race – This time Ladies and handicap winner  the very talented Emma Moffat , nice girl and she was keen to find out how I survived my ordeal and manage to keep going when the chips are down? Told her it’s all in the Stoke heart as I gave her a few tips to take to Rio for next year’s Olympic games.

Not sure what it is but all these World Champion and Olympic games ladies all seem to want to chat with this Mr Normal Average guy from Stoke as the below photos can testify to.

 

 

Alongside Pete Walker, Champ and Pete's eldest son Luke who went well in his debut Tri aged just 16.

Ladies and handicap winner the talented Emma Moffatt.

And post race we exchange race stories.

With World Champion Gwen earlier in the year at Kurnell.

and with regular Eastside training partner for our Sunday long runs Eloise

cheers




4 comments:

  1. Better get out and do a few ocean swims if you are that much of a wimp around the cans. If you haven't gone under around the buoys you are not trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wuss... Backstroke in a 1km tri the shame...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great effort Timmy. Smashed the bike.

    ReplyDelete