Saturday, August 3, 2013

Hills, Hills and more Hills.

Morning, Striders 10k Lane Cove 38.38 - Greeted by an even slimmer Slim Sammy Agnew (does his wife feed him these days?) then went out and was joined by Irish Hardman Macca for the 2.5k warm up. Good few friendly HuRTS faces out there including Pete Walker, Taffy James, ‘Kenny & Renee’, Skippy Heyden, Mermaid, Elle, and the old Sweaty Sock (Craig)
Very unusual start with nobody wanting to take the lead (not even E.J) with everyone just cruising the first 1k sitting on 3.40 pace, with Ana White deciding to take it on after that for a few hundred meters before Kanser’s best mate Uncle Criniti decided enough was enough and was gone and never troubled again.
I settled behind Walker and the Taffy lad after that running beside Slim Sammy Agnew and felt OK, which was until about the 4k mark when Sammy called out 15.15 then just as the hill started for the climb I went to pieces and had nothing. Sam who was now running with Ana got the slight gap on me and from there on in I felt awful but just concentrated on keeping the pace steady. Checked the watch at 5ks and saw 19.22 (oh dear) and knew that I would need a big negative split just to break 38 minutes.
Crossed the finishing line with another disappointing run of 38.38 – not what I was looking for but I never tapered for today and had a big week so I wont get to upset about the time. I think the winning time was only about 34.xx so it certainly wasn’t a fast run race with the top end a little light on. Skippy and Macca both recorded 35 something, Walker in the 37s and Slim Sammy touched out in 38 (?)
My k splits for the day were (approx) 3.40, 3.42, 4.02, 3.47, 4.03, 3.53, 3.50, 3.52, 3.55, 3.40


Noon – State X/Country 7.5ks Rydlemere. Got a call from the chairman asking if I could help out with a run in the state x/country Striders team, so it was a double up day with a trek out to Rydlemere to knock out the tough 3 x 2.5k hills galore that was on. Legs felt very heavy even before the start after this mornings run and really wasn’t looking forward to it at all, even having hot flushes that Flakey would turn me over J
With a first loop of 9.39 and Flakey still hot on my tail I could feel the pace drop on the first big hill second time around, saw the Chairman and Kenny coming in the other direction looking strong and I got a glimpse of Flakey who looked worst then I was and was losing ground on me.  Second loop down in 10.14 and it was a battle to even go around for a 3rd, got a good ‘C’mon Strider’ as I labored up the hill again and it was non other then City to Surf winner from way back Paul Arthur so decided to try to stick with him over the final stages of the race.
Looked terrible in crossing the line in 30.09 with a final lap of 10.16
Big day of running for over 20ks in total done with plenty of hills that I am badly in need of before City to Surf in 7 days time

Night – Taffy James, Snags, Stubbies, & Sheila’s Party.  HuRTS resident Welsh Boyo had a big bash to help celebrate becoming an Aussie Citizen and went along for a snag or two and plenty of beers in the process. Meant I missed my Sunday long run today so looks like I need to get it done on Monday this week. I will run then join the boys for the lunchtime session before making the ks up returning to the park hopefully getting the 30ks done that I need.
Keen to have a good weeks training but will taper a little before Sunday’s City to Surf.

Striders and HuRTS gang - Flakey, Tommy H, James 'Kenny' and Ana.



With the latest 'Dinki Di - Taffy James.



You can take the boyo out of Wales but.....

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment