Sunday, February 5, 2017

Weekend Wrap

Saturday - Striders 10k Homebush 39.23.
First proper race of the season and it was out west we headed. Always a tough race to start the year and even after Enda, Leech Birchy, Jac and I were sweating buckets just doing the 2k warm up I knew that all goal times for the morning were about to go out the window.
A good showing from the HuRTS team with Nicky Roberts looking to lay down a marker for the season lining up with all of the above as well as Hamish and NOTB boys Justin & Ben.
Tucked in with the NOTB pairing for the first 1k and up the rise to 2ks, but even before the 3k mark I was out the back and sadly it wasn't about to get any better. Around the back of the common was a labour and coming across the bridge before the half way mark it was race over. Saw a smiling Jac's on drinks duty in the car park and took time out for a quick chat (30 seconds) as I checked the watch that told me I was half way in 19.02  Just seemed to meander after that as the first two girls flew past at 6.5k and then at 8k I get a glimpse of Nicky R leading the way that will eventually see him first past the post.
Basically struggle to hold 4 min/ks by this time and happy to get back on the road for the final 200m cruise in to stop the clock in 39.23
Again very disappointing time but in truth its NOT a fair indication of my current training as I've been moving well but more the hot conditions - It just simply drains me. 
Still. will carry on and hopefully once it cools down I'll be in reasonable shape. Think everyone was feeling it though and the general consensus was that it slowed everyone by 60 -90 seconds (although I was closer to 2),...... unless your named Nicky R.

Sunday - Cole Classic Ocean Swim Manly 44.12
Out early for a 6am start and run with Enda, The Branagon Brothers (Super Kev & Marko) and Birchy knocking out 6ks before being joined by Jerome and Kanser as we headed out for another 6ks. Plenty of banter along the way, mostly at the expense of the Irish who lost in the rugby to the mad Jocks. A further 3ks and I was done running for the morning with 15k completed in 70 minutes.
Drove over to the Dark Side of the bridge for the Cole Classic Ocean swim starting at Shelley Beach that ends in Manly. Perfect conditions (thank God) as despite doing loads of swimming I'm still not confident in the open water. Tried to keep of trouble by staying wide and despite one or two hairy moments I came through unscathed. Jumped up out the water and up the beach crossing the line in 44.12 that I was more than happy with especially once I checked to see the GPS had it recording 2.45ks in distance and I was averaging 1.49s per/100m throughout.

Monday - PAP Swim .
A few Ks on the bike to start the week before heading to the pool to meet up with two of my old training partners , One was a gun swimmer (Ian) and the other the best triathlete I've ever trained with in Roger Souter. Old school and after his early days training with the likes of Trevor Hendy and Guy Leech in the Ironman (surf lifesaving) decided to compete in the triathlon scene in later years.
Nowhere near the fitness they used to have but still good enough to give me a shoeing in the pool as we knocked out the best part of 2ks

Tuesday. Looks like we may have a cooler day at long last (tomorrow) but will still continue with the early morning session within the park. Think its the 1k rep session and will be looking to hopefully push it for this one.

A few pics from the weekend.

Only the HuRTS Hardcore ventured west in such harsh conditions. Leech, winner Nicky R, timmy, Enda and Birchy.
Putting a marker down for the year - Nicky Roberts HuRTS current #1
I was already in the HURT box and it was only 2ks in.

3 weeks to go and Enda in good form leading to Tokyo marathon.
Alongside the 'Tokyo Twins' Enda and Birchy, I think Birchy found the run as tough as what I did?
A stunning day over at Manly before the start of the Cole Classic Ocean Swim.

Cheers





No comments:

Post a Comment