Sunday, September 25, 2016

St Peters Dog/Park Run 18.09

A free hour off work and a chance of a head to head with Enda meant it was a quick detour to St Peters for the 5k Park Run to start the weekend. Sadly he pulled the pin (sick once more) but I did find another Irishman Leech on the start line alongside Razor Wareham.
The big news was the change in course due to the Westconnex digging up nearby roads so was unsure of the course but did hear the big hill was still in the mix somewhere for the 5ks. The usual fast start though and with Tom De Canto miles ahead after 500m I sit in 3rd spot with Leech and Razor on my shoulder as we fly through in 3.19 Settle for the 2nd better and the hill comes into play far earlier on the new course at 1.7k that slows things downs big time. It's here the Leech breaks away and seriously must put about 10 seconds into me by the time we get to the top that I was never to get back. Despite the tough enough course we had to deal with about 1001 dogs roaming around and even the mild mannered Razor was giving out at one stage. If that wasn't bad enough we then had to fight our way through the slower runners as we head out for the 2nd loop and are forced to run the final 1k with those still on 3.5ks - nightmare.
I was struggling mind and wasn't happy with the last 1k or so as I seemed to labour over the line in 4th (or was it 5th) just behind Leech in 18.09 but just staying ahead of Razor. Still, a decent enough hit out and I'm even more confident I would run high 17's on a  flat (or short) course like Curl Curl?
Much prefer the old course, In that its more flowing and you don't have to endure the slower runners over the final stages.
Stayed around at the end as it was also some sort of Irish day with former Swans legend and premiership player from 2005 (?) Tadhg Kennelly handing out awards. Poor Leechy got all star struck and demanded his wife take a photo but was to shy to go solo so asked me to hold his hand.
Nice lad (Tadhg not Leech) and I think we impressed him with our 5ks efforts for the day.
Cheers

Leech, Tadhg and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment