Sunday, September 18, 2016

Blackmore's Half Marathon 90.30 - Pacing Duties.


Up at the ungodly hour of 4.30am to prepare for the Blackmore’s Half marathon that was starting at 6 over at Milsons Point.  Decided to do my bit and help out agreeing to be a pacer for the morning carrying  the 90 minute flag. Met fellow flag bearers and HuRTs lads Tommy H and Muzza (80 mins) before heading up to the start line. The aim for the morning was to run the 21ks sitting on 4.16s per/k even pace and was spot on for the first one but miles out with a 3.58 for the faster 2nd coming off the bridge.

Settled after that coming back through the city and by the time we came under the Harbour Bridge I had a loads of passengers on the bus, It was soon after I was joined by mate Gleeso who despite it early in the race was moving well.  Got chatting away to the team when I thought was appropriate and coming up Hickson Road I mentioned to the group that at the next marker - 10k we should be aiming for 42.40 and was happy to shout out 42.20 giving us that slight buffer.

In and around the back of Pyrmont that I normally struggle on when racing with the little pinch hills I seemed to enjoy today and gave a shout out to Tommy H and a few of the other faster guys as they were set for home. Next little goal for the group was at 15ks and we were still on target as 64 minutes was the go and we went through in 63.44, I know this is where the run is lost for many so was keen to continue with the chat and it helped with a flat course coming around Barrangaroo and Hickson road. Still had a big team on board as we left Barangaroo and once we hit the squashed car I suggested to the group that if anyone was feeling strong then they were to push ahead to see out for the final 2ks. Coming around the Quay area I knew I only had about 60 seconds to get home myself so put the foot down slightly but still crossed over the line in 90.30 – Wasn’t too concerned in truth as I did position myself pretty much close to the front on the start line and for many of the runners they were way back to begin.

Really enjoyed the morning and being able to help out whilst still getting a decent little hit out done working 21ks at 4.15s

Many a good run from the HuRTS guys and girls, with what now seems like a great course. A good few hit under 80 minutes including Darren J, Leech, Angus and Brendan but the Timmy Run of the Day went to Renee who smashed out a brilliant 83 minutes (3 minute PB)  and was beaming with delight as I crossed the line as she revealed her time to me. My clients ‘The Love Doctors’ Craig & Victoria had good runs with Craig keeping me in sight the whole way to finish in 91 and Vics stole a 3 second PB to stop the watch in 99.48

 

The usual afternoon / evening drinks were consumed and I’m just recalling all the evening shenanigans with ‘The Doctors’, Sweaty Neil, Jeet and Birchy

 

Rest day on Monday but will need to get back for the Tuesday session as the Melbourne Half is fast coming around and I sense it won’t be as cruisy as today’s run.

 
Good guy Muzza and Tommy H who were also on pacing duties for the morning, them on 80 minutes me with the 90 flag. Sadly Muzza only lasted 4ks before he pulled his calf muscle and had to pull the pin.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment