Sunday, August 9, 2015

City to Surf 51.22

The Sun shone (or is that shined ?), All the HuRT squad were out in force, beers flowed, the ‘Lovebirds’ Brad & Angelina (Champagne & Sonya) were out as were the ‘Perpetual Pests’ (Durante & Thurston), Hamstrings were popping, Armani jackets were on show on the start line (cheap fake Chinese rip offs I predict), Red Cards, PBs, more beers, and a little bit of the ‘Stoke Heart’ returned….. all in the name of another City to Surf.

As usual woke to a stunning morning to greet us for this year’s City to Surf and met up with the gang at the Stone Gates for a warm up before heading over for the start, Always a great buzz and this year was no exception with the girls in leotards getting the boys a little hot under the collar although Enda and his ‘Armani Jacket’ gave them a run for their money. Stood on the start line and went through a plan with Rich Mullaney in that I would take out the first 5ks and he would get me over the hills up to the 10k mark and I was to do my best on staying on his shoulder for the tough sections.
A mad frantic start is the norm and even going out the tunnel poor Rich wasn’t with me – not too concerned though as I know he’s a stronger runner and would reel me in soon enough. First (and only) downer of the day comes just on two ks when I see the Chairman Tommy H walking outside Edgecliffe, race over due to his hamstring that didn’t last too long. A few consolation words to him and I continue down into Double Bay.  Straight away I’m joined by Mr. Jingle Jangle Renaud Herington who must have robbed baby Mia’s money box as he’s got a pocket full of change that annoys the sH1te out of me. Even worse though once told he rolls his shorts right up to avoid the noise but now looks like he has a g-string on (thank God for his boxer shorts).
Decide to latch on to Renaud from this point on and happy to see I get to the 5k marker in good shape on 18 minutes and start to prepare for the hills ahead. Been doing a lot of training this year, Heartbreak in particular (twice a week) and it certainly paid dividends this year as I held good pace all the way not going over the 4 min/k mark at any stage of the 1.6k.
Once up the top before about the 8k mark he just started to gap me and I had to work hard even on the roundabout turn at Watsons Bay to avoid breaking that leash I had on him. Into Military Road we go and prepare for what I consider the toughest part with the nasty climbs around Dover Heights, get to the 10k mark in 37.18 (probably the fastest 10k I’ve done in two years)  and tell myself to hang in for the next 800m or so before the downhill assault into Bondi.  Mind wanders a little at this point as I start to do the sums and work out a finishing time and quickly work out I’m on for a sub 52 but still have to keep it ticking over. I get a good shout out from Taffy James at the 12k mark who’s not running due to injury and is on photo duties for the day. Coming around the final bend before the Beach you drift right across the road (12.8ks into the race) and it’s here I decide to kick for home and just get the break on Renaud putting a 5m gap or so into him. Still wasn’t confident as I know he won’t let me get away and perhaps has a stronger kick than me once he does go.
See Tommy H with about a kilometre to go and despite him feeling down he still has time to offer me a great boost that sees me lift again. I start to feel it next to the Bondi Hotel but I know I can’t ‘give it away’ at this point of the race and suspect “Allo Allo’ boy is still close by. Finally turn into the car park and get that nice downhill for 30m and give it all I have for a final time, see a guy on all fours in a world of pain and realize it’s poor Hamish from the team. I’m hurting as much so I don’t stop and get another cheer on the sidelines from Mikey, Durante, Stevie T, and Kanser and let out a big smile as I see the clock tick over in 51.22 and my fastest time in 4 years.
Pretty happy with that and at least I get a decent race done after what seems like an age of very average races over the past 18 months or so. Even happier to have been competitive and getting a few scalps along the way that included Richard Mullaney, Adrian McGarva. Matt Kaley, Renaud. Jeet and Laura James who are all far better runners than me.
Some splits were
5k        18.00 ave 3.37
5-10k  19.18 ave 3.52
10-14k 14.02 ave 3.30
51.22 average 3.40s

Some great results from the team, first home was Barts who smashed his way around in 45.xx, C.T was superb in his 46.08 with ‘Q ‘ not far behind. Special mention to Angus on breaking the 50 minute barrier , unfortunately it wasn’t Jeets day (55mins) and Gleeso was just outside his 60 minute target by a measly 8 seconds.
The Human Headline Enda Stankard got a first as well….. First bloke in the Medical tent (out off 80’000 runners). Another shocker from the Galway boy as he battled dehydration (it was only 8 degrees and a 14k run FFS) and had his choice of about 250 medics to choose from as he enjoyed a spell on the bed on a drip for his efforts.
The Timmy run of the Day though goes to Super Kev, who run a brilliant 49.27 – great work buddy.

A shower and clean up followed by Enda redeeming himself with a good breakfast hosting the team for the morning that included top food critic Prince Ho in attendance…. Enda was sh!tting himself he’d get a bad review on the blog.

The fun was about to start though once we headed down to the Allen’s tent for the day care of Tommy H, always the best part with plenty of trash talk and storytelling.  The 1.6 billion dollar budget must have been down this year (unless we just drank far quicker) as the beers were out by mid afternoon and it meant going back to our old favorite neighbours Ernst & Young to keep up supplies for the afternoon. We have no shame and openly drunk the bar dry before heading over the road to the Bondi Hotel.  Trash talk reached new levels once the beers took effect and Brad & Angelina (Van Beek and Low) were the first to get ‘Red Carded’ and marched out… night over, whilst the ‘Perpetual Pests Thurston and Durante were going back to old ways.  Macca may be the toughest runner in the team but his drinking habits need working on and was seen staggering early doors, C.Ts 6pm curfew came and he was done and poor Tommy H didn’t even wait for his pre booked taxi (9.45pm) this year before heading back over the bridge for an early evening.
I was then left to endure Enda’s reprisal of his days events on his Wobbly legs all the while being entertained by the nearby Bumble Bees in full flow.
A cracking day all around and I even managed to snag that Tommy H ‘s taxi at 9.45pm to complete a perfect day.

Many thanks to Enda & Ange Stankard for hosting the breakfast, top notch (will be interesting to see what Hoey makes of it) and also to Tommy H for the marquee once more, really appreciate it.

Now I’ve got the bit between my teeth, there will be no time to relax and want to stay strong from here on in till at least the Blackmore and Melbourne Half in October.

 A few photos from yesterday of the team – will add more throughout the week
With a competitive time on the board I was lucky enough to clean up on the betting stakes this race, Clean Sweep, not one lose – can’t grumble about that, If your face isn’t on the Lindop ‘Wall of Fame’ consider your bet NOT paid and I will be sending HuRT Heavyweights around to collect any outstanding debt… you have been warned, Gleeson, Van Beek, O’Connor, Herington and Reville.
Cheers

Bondi at it's best.

HuRTs finest Tucks, Tom, Timmy, Stevie T and Ireland's toughest Macca with girls Greta and Sonya.

Part of the 'Beauty' City to Surf team with Quentin and Jeet.... not sure where Laura fits in?


The Stallion Durante with the Chairman.



No comments:

Post a Comment