Monday, August 17, 2015

2 x 20 Minute Efforts (10k in 36.52)

Legs felt pretty tired after two straight days running with 21 on Sunday and 15ks yesterday and wasn’t that keen to front up today. Helped though as I had a client prior that saw me warm up with a slow 6ks before meeting a big gang at the Stone Gates.
2 x 20 minutes was the go (with 3 mins standing recovery) and from the off I decided to push the pace more than I’ve been doing, and soon settled with Irelands toughest Macca. Always easier the first 3ks or so to the Opera Gates but was keen to hold on to him as we ventured through the busy Quay area and Passenger Terminal. Kept the pace honest as we managed to get to just past the Squashed Car at 5.5ks on the 20 minute mark.
A decent long recovery as we both wondered how the hell we were going to get back in the same time and I thought I’d just push hard until I got to the 10k mark on the run then cruise home after that.
Took off strong and once again had to endure the busy crowds before Macca just pulled ahead before the O.H. Tried to keep it together coming back in the Domain around the 8k mark as I thought the pace was slowing. With 9k down I knew I only had two little climbs to go by Mrs. Macs and the Boy Charlton Pool but was reeling Macca back in. Managed to go past the ‘tough man’ ON the hill and then had 200m to get to the 10k marker on the watch. Happy to see a 36.52 completed (my fastest 10k in about 2 years) and then from there was happy to just stroll it back to the gates as #1 Barts was to fly past not long after.
My K splits on the watch were:
3.39, 3.42, 3.36, 3.46, 3.28, 3.43, 3.41, 3.37, 3.45, 3.48
Not sure what happened on the 5th K – seems too fast and I can’t remember going any faster…. Must have had a nice tail wind ?
Happy with that, especially as I felt like $h!te to start with and hopefully I can repeat a time similar come Manly in two weeks time, and take the Chairman, Renaud and our Irish mate for a few more spondoolies J.

Rest day tomorrow before returning for the tough 1k reps at Rushcutters on Thursday.

Cheers


2 comments:

  1. Great running Timmy. Looks like you are back mate.

    You may not be allowed to take a 3 minute time-out at north Head though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that view of Charlie. Don't want to see you make a habit of stopping dead half way through your races...

    ReplyDelete