Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Great Wall Half Marathon 1.55 - 3rd Overall

It was ridiculously brutal, extremely hot (40 degrees) it drove me to near exhaustion but yes the old Stoke battler completed the Great Wall of China Half Marathon.
Its not every day you get the chance to run on one of the 7 Wonders of the World and when the opportunity came through work for a trip away I wasn't about to miss out. Arrived a week earlier and after a visit on the Wall on the Thursday I realized this half was going to be tough one as I was feeling the effects in the hips and quads and that was just walking.
Up early on race day (2.45am) for the 2 hour drive and the excitement in the square was already high especially when the touring Kiwi party did a rendition of the Haka before the start of the race. Lined up in wave 1 beside an Argentine guy who was going to run the full in barefoot (lunatic I thought as temps were already in the 30s as early as 7.30am
The first 5ks of climb not dissimilar to our own Heartbreak Hill and check the watch that tells me 23.25 for the first section before heading onto the tougher 'Wall' section. I walk the first set of steps as i tried to get the heart rate down and with the best intentions of running the 2nd set lasted all of about 6 steps before I was forced to power walk once again.  Basically this was pretty much repeated for the next 4ks as I was struggling to go any faster than 10 min/ks. Even the downhill parts on the dreaded Goat Track was a killer and was forced to hold onto the hand rail most of the way.
Back to the start line at 9k totally knackered and could easily have stopped there and then, but out on the road and into the nearby villages was next and despite the soaring heat and legs screaming at me to stop the kids and locals made it bearable. 15k marker and another hill nearly breaks me again and I'm thankful to get back on the road and turn for home at the 16k mark as you then see the slower runners in the opposite direction many giving you high fives and cheering away.
Getting close to home but even at the 20k point of the race i could have easily walked and still not confident i was going to see it out, Had a quick glance behind and with no one in sight i was able to just cruise it out re entering 'Ying Yang' Square to stop the clock in 1hr.55 minutes and surprisingly taking out 3rd place overall.
Absolutely stoked at the race, certainly one of the toughest around and its certainly not one you do for time. The scenery on the Wall is just mesmerizing and one that will stay with me for a long time. As tough as it was again it was one of the most enjoyable runs I've ever done. Couple that with Ayres Rock and New York last November I've really enjoyed my new line of work that has taken me to these places I'd never visited before.
Big party followed on the Sunday evening and in front of 2500 people all the podium placing people  were called on stage in honour of the runs and in my newly purchased traditional Chinese jacket it certainly proved popular in the camera stakes.
First time in China and thoroughly enjoyed the 8 days spent, people very friendly, food excellent especially the Peking Duck that I seemed to demolish at every opportunity and the weather just superb (not sure what Enda harks on about all the time with the smog, as I only ever saw clear blue sky)

Hopefully i can get this as a regular gig as I'd love to return again next year, Still a big 2nd half of the year to come with return trips to 'The Rock' in the Red Centre,  New York in November and just got confirmation over the past few days that Berlin is also the go in September that I can add a trip to the Oktoberfest and back home for some footy at the 'Brit' in October.

The splits that i had for the race were as follows.
3.51, 4.54, 4.19, 5.07, 4.58, 10.58, 10.38, 7.26, 5.07, 4.40, 4.38, 4.34, 4.31, 4.54, 5.13, 4.43, 4.33, 5.03, 4.43, 5.04, 4.48

A few photos from race day and general tour.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Timmy. I went to China in 2003 and did a Great Wall tour one day. That was hard work just walking up the steps. Great to get through a race on the wall.

    ReplyDelete