Sunday, September 7, 2014

Weekend Wrap - Striders 37.10 & Sunday Long Run

Saturday.
Had the privilege of a lift out to North Head Manly with perhaps HuRTS fastest runner (at his best) Stevie ‘Wildman’ ‘Norman Cook’ ‘D Cup’ Thurston for the 8th race in the Striders 10k series.
Shocker of a morning weather wise although a massive turnout from the HuRTS team as I lined up on the start line alongside Tommy H, Barts, Clarkey, Angus, Walker, Taffy, Skippy Heyden, Sonya, Birchy,  Fats to name but a few, and that’s without mentioning the North Side (or should that be North Shore) boys Dickey Green, Ben, Jamie and Justin Bromley.
I had trained pretty well the past 4 weeks so was keen to see exactly where I was in terms of fitness but was still cautious of going out to hard so had set myself a target to try to sit on 3.40 pace that would hopefully get me home in 36.40
Always a fast start this one as you head downhill to the Stone Gates before coming back to the start line for approx the first kilomtre as I see 3.32 on the watch. Settle OK after that and tag on to Jeet, Bruce Lambert and HuRTS favorite Cameron Arnold  for the next 4k or so as we come around to  complete the first lap. Get a good view of the front runners and see Tommy H mixing it up with Alex Rogers and Neil with ‘The Wildman not far behind giving a good account of himself on his return. Was holding the pace although noticed Jeet had opened that gap on me that I wasn’t able to close at all and was disappointed around the 7k mark heading downhill to the old start area that it was perhaps my slowest k of the day (?- couldn’t work that out)  Soon after I saw ‘The Shire’s #11 Damo Bray on the side of the road,  race complete for the day, apparently he was short on gels (only took 5 out on the course with him)  Caught up with North Shore Benny Boy Streckeisen around 7.5ks going back up the hill and this is where I normally struggle so made a big effort to attack and pray he didn’t come with me. Lucky for me he didn’t quiet have it today and I managed to get away from him over the final stages.  Tried to kick it down over the last 1000m but the final 400 just destroys me and with a final look at the watch I then realized it wasn’t even going to break 37 minutes?
Crossed the  line in 37.10 average pace 3.39 per/k – happy with the way I run the race but slightly disappointed with the time. Like everyone it seems I had the course some 180 mtrs long – maybe Mikey Conway was right after all and we need to get Action Jackson back out there to re-measure?
The k splits were- 3.32, 3.39, 3.34, 3.42, 3.39, 3.41, 3.44, 3.41, 3.38 and final 1.2k @ 4.15 (3.37)

Some great times and runs from the team , once again the Chairman shows us all how to race. Coming home in 2nd overall in 32.47, Stevie T 5th in 33.15, and Muzza, Clarkey and Barts all getting in the top 10.
The Timmy Run of the Day though for me goes to Sultry Sonya Van Beek who PBed for the day to finish 3rd female home and on her watch (and calculations ) broke 40 mins - although in the record books she will have to be content with 40.04 J

I had a successful day on the punt winning 3 out of the 4 laid bets, Not only covering the 12 seconds on the Taffy Lad but beating him by over 2 mins , It seemed a little too cold for the  Irish boys as there was NO showing from either Enda or Paulie Hanley, and they know the rules for ‘NO SHOWS’ = Pay Up.
The only dampener on the day was losing to Tommy H who I had 4.20 in the bank only to lose by 4.24 (knew that 8th k would come back to bite me) and that will cost me a $20 payout when I see him for birthday drinks come Thursday. I think that Alex Rogers should pay half of it for me – as it’s his fault that Tom run that fast just by pacing our dear Chairman for the morning.

Enjoyed a good coffee with the team after in Manly  before getting back on ‘Home Soil’ for more coffee with the Taffy Lad in downtown ‘Erko’

Results in full.


Sunday.
The rain continued overnight and early morning as the 6.30am Sunday long run came around. Met C.T, Birchy, Sonya, Shire #14 (down 3 places after his woeful run yesterday), and  Jeet all backing up from Striders although no sign of Enda or Hanley once again? Did the normal 6k loop first up returning to the café some 28 minutes later (4.39 pace) but didn’t pick up anyone for the later start. Went out and did the 10k loop – picking up Razor Wareham who somehow just appeared out of some bush ( as he does) working at 4.34 pace. Then decided to do a ‘outer ‘loop of the park for another 9.5ks and was still feeling fine as the ks were ticked off.
Returned back to the café with over 25ks done and I wanted to do one fast finishing lap at marathon pace, I asked Razor for help on this one and he came to the party to keep me company. I wasn’t so sure it was a good idea though as early as the 500m mark I was bombarded with 150 questions and with 2 hrs running behind me going at 4 min/ks I wasn’t prepared to answer. Worked out well though in truth as I was able to hold the 3.7k flat lap dead on the 4 min per/k to finish the morning with 29.25ks in 2hr.11 average pace 4.33s
Very happy with that and for the second week running was feeling strong at the end and this despite racing 24 hours prior. Probably still a little short on the mileage as I should be heading up towards the 35k mark by now but still…..

As the afternoon came, so did the bright clear weather, just in time to head down to the Opera Bar to help celebrate Sonya’s birthday, cracker of a day with Birchy (with a new lady friend?), Taffy(with his bright white tennis shoes), Brendan Wong (with his $2.15 jacket purchased from Vinnies) and Lisa all making a day of it. Even had Dave Kanser Kane pop in for a beer to two (of course running late – said will be there at 4.30 then rocks up at 8pm).  He’s back running, even getting out for 17ks today with Stevie T of all people, He must be getting stronger as he was looking at wagering a bet for the next Striders race come the first week on October.  It was embarrassing though as he then demanded a 45 second handicap from ME (?), …WHAT ?????? I felt embarrassed for the poor bloke asking me for a start, He then went on and stated that he will then SMASH me off scratch come J.P Morgan time in November, (he must be serious)
Great afternoon as the beers and banter flowed well into the night and it was a battle this morning to kick off another working week.
Rest Day today but will be back out tomorrow for the HuRTS 45 minute tempo with the gang.



Brilliant running from the trio - Tommy H (2nd) , Stevie T (5th) and Sonya (3rd lady)


Sonya getting her rewards for 3rd lady -sadly she won't be able to claim a sub 40 minutes as the record books state a 40.04 .......bloody long course.



Fair play to the Taffy Lad on settling his debt after i got him by over 2 mins at North Head. Now where is Stankard and Hanley?



Taffy with his 'Tennis' Dunlop Volleys  - coming back into fashion in Wales soon.



Birthday Girl - very classy, we even get cake.


Opera Bar for Sunday drinks with Sonya, Lisa and Brendan Wong.

Tough times for our leader Mikey Conway at work it seems, now forced to go 'on the road' touring to help get the extra dollars in. No doubt Laura James will be front row in her hometown.

Cheers


5 comments:

  1. Northern Beaches!!! Insulting us with "North Shore"...... terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Justin, you've risen to the bait. This now means he's going to keep on using this 'North Shore' moniker for at least 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well maybe he'll run under 37mins by then....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apologies Justin my mate, I don’t frequent over the ‘Dark Side’ of the bridge that often so my knowledge of the local area isn’t perhaps what it should be. When Tommy H invites me over to his housewarming or when I get the ticket to join the ‘Friday Ferry’ team I’ll be sure to pay a little more attention. In the meantime I’ll just say the Northern Beaches is classed as ‘Penrifffffffff by the Sea
    BTW, Well run on Saturday, you are killing it lately ………must be the sea air ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you need to refresh your memory with a 34km tour of the delightful suburbs between Manly and Narrabeen Lake? TomH makes a splendid tour guide. Highlights included running past Brookvale Oval twice, Brookvale, DeeWhy bus depot and Warringha Mall.

    And yep, running well at the moment thank you, but no where near your Striders 10k PB..... a lot of work to do yet!

    ReplyDelete