Tuesday, September 16, 2014

2 x 20 minute efforts (3 min recovery)

A big turnout at the Stone Gates today for the 2 x 20 minute efforts, and great to see #1 Tucks back with us (although he was to do bugger all in truth – think he was only there to keep an eye and check on Tom?).
After a few decent weeks I thought I’d go out today around the 3.45-3.50 pace and to see how that felt and try to hold the return for as long as possible on the tougher climb back.
Nobody really took it out hard with only Muzza ahead for the first 1k (and possibly Razor?), Although I could feel the Chairman on my shoulder coming around Mrs. Macs Chair, Told him to do some work that he did and he carried me around Farm Cove area before he pulled away. Enda was next to come by and a brief chat with him before he too carried on ahead. Had a shocker around the passenger terminal, not only were the cruise liners in but road works and a Muppet with a lollipop stick nearly caused us a pile up (not to mention Coach Walker almost taking me down), Finished the first 20 minutes just as Mikey, Walker, King, Adrian Mc and a few others were about to come past,  covering 5.35ks averaging 3.45s.
Had the same problem on the return at the roadwork’s, but caught the first group around the Quay, before the wind almost took us all INTO the harbor once we came around the front of the Opera House. It was here that Mikey just put the gap into me and I never closed it from that point. Tried to work hard around Farm Cove as Tommy flew past and had the usual struggle on the hill around the pool area, Went past a few more on the flats and gave out a few encouraging words to #1 Renee and Corky O’Conner, then really had to work hard once over the expressway to get back in time. Kicked when Heyden went by and got back to the Stone Gates in 40.02 (2 seconds over).
10.7ks all up – average 3.46s

Then had to listen to Mikey give me the drum on going out to hard on the out, and that I should have stayed with him (he got back with 10 seconds to spare), Although it wasn’t half as bad as the $h!te the Warrior was about to come out with as I was deep in recovery mode “Ohhhh, nice of you to finish a session Timmy” . the guy must be on drugs, as I’ve finished everyone in the last 5 months if I can remember right?
…and all this from the very person who  pulled the pin at 3k of the 5k tempo last week?....... Very strange comment.

Knackered at the end again, some tough sessions lately I’m finding, still I’m expecting  them  all to be tough as I’m running on heavy legs due to the extra mileage each week?

Will be back out in the morning to try to do 15ks easy around the park, before we return to Rushcutters on Thursday for the NEW 8 x 1k reps.

Talking of seeing Tucks today, reminds me to share his recent UTMB race where he finished 6th overall in a world class field. It’s a great read – although give yourself plenty of time as it’ll take some time to get through it (it was a long race after all J )

Cheers


1 comment: