Monday, July 21, 2014

Rushcutters 20 x 400s (rolling every 2 mins)

Not since 1960 and the great film ‘The Magnificent Seven’ has there been (well nearly) the HuRTS TOP 7 assembled for one session. A breakaway group formed today with Barts(doing his best Yul Brynner impression) leading his troops away from Mikeys’ set down session. So with Barts, #1 Tucks, Dave Clarke, Enda, Muzza, Jeet and I we made our way over to Rushcutters for the 25 x 400m marathon session working from a rolling 2 minutes.
Decided even before the start that I was only going to do 20 of the 25 and the general consensus was that each should be done around 4-5 seconds slower than your normal 10 x 400 times.
Don’t know what it is about Rushcutters put I always run pretty well down there and felt good early although 20 is certainly more than 10 so wasn’t getting too carried away as I was coming in around 78 for the first half dozen or so, about 4 seconds behind the leading group.
Got to 10 OK and was keen just to keep it ticking over and counting them down, 15 soon came and went and then it seemed as if the front group picked up the pace slightly whilst I held the pace.
Muz and Enda were only doing 20 like myself so I kicked the last one down and was pretty happy to find that after nearly 8ks (19 reps) that I had enough left in the tank for a 69 finish time.
Amazing what slowing it down 4-5 seconds per /400 can do, as I felt pretty comfortable throughout and held the times well all working under 3.20 per/k for each.
Times for the day, 78, 78, 78, 79, 77, 78, 77, 78, 78, 78, 78, 77, 77, 77, 78, 77, 77, 77, 77, 69.

The front boys looked even more comfortable – must have been coming in around 73s I reckon with Jeet only a couple of seconds behind me on each as well.
Enda continues to talk it up as his great running goes on, he’s been telling all that he reckons Chairman Tommy H is there for the taking in this year’s City to Surf after a holiday break of 4 weeks, I’ve told him it’s been 4 weeks NOT 4 years and my money is still on one of the best racers in the business.

Sight of the day goes to Dave Clarke who was giving his best impression of Basketball player Paddy Mills who is back in town – looked like he’d just come from the court with his fluorescent canary singlet and oversize baggy shorts…..what was he thinking?
Talking of outrageous costumes, this week is HuRTS boy C.Ts 40th Birthday bash, I was thinking of getting around to Enda’s house to get fitted out for the occasion but it’s a 70s disco theme and I’m afraid some of Enda’s gear is still stuck in the 50s so I may need a rethink? Maybe I’ll have a chat to Master Sweeney?
HuRTS favorite and #1 Tucks is sorted it seems, he’s just sent in the following J

Tucks already in party mode for Sunday's big birthday bash, I'm already worried what some of the other HuRTS boys will rock up in after seeing some of there fashion over the years.

Will be out in the morning for another easy 10-12ks

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. Just trying to decide if I wear a shirt or not Timmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good session Timmy. Please wear a shirt Tucks. Wouldn't want the gold chains getting caught in the rug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Young Timothy your choice of shirt for this type of occasion is one of the highlights of the evening!

    ReplyDelete