Tuesday, July 29, 2014

NEW Session - Hills and Tempo.

Well that was bloody tough…………..

I had organized (with the approval from Mikey) an alternative session for the team today that was 20 minutes hill repeat tempos, followed by a flat(yeah right) 5k tempo around the Domain.
Massive group rocked up although some were to go and join C.T for the 8 x 5 mins that was on the program, I had set up basically a hill rep over 150m and back down that the front guys would cover in about 60 seconds meaning they were on for 20 hills. I started off Ok, then took a look at the watch to see only 4min56 gone, far out ….. this was going to be tough and I just needed to get the head down, Mikey and Macca came by around the 7th rep so tucked in with them. Around the 11 minute min mark the front guys Clarkey,  Crossey, Tom, Muzza and Tucks lapped me but I was holding a steady pace and those behind were not closing any as I in fact lapped Renee,  Erika Elkand and surprisingly Jeet (?)
Got to 18 minutes and I was goneski and the final 120 seconds couldn’t come around quick enough – I was spent on completion and still had another 20 minute tempo (5k) to do.
Covered approx 5ks in the 20 mins (4 min/ks) and completed 19 hill reps.
A quick regroup and explanation of the course and we set 3 different groups off, 4 min/ks, 3.45s and 3.30. Once again I was strong over the first 1k going through in 3.37 but after that on any slight incline I was going backwards, The main group Mikey, Taffy, Walker, The Champ all went by and on the second loop the faster guys led by a very strong Dave Clarke all flew past as well. I was almost reduced to a walk at the bottom of M.M.C and was laboring badly until Macca (who was off the back of the front guys) came past with about 1500m to go and I tried to tag on to him.
Managed to get back to the Stone Gates in 19.20 and the boys were all saying it was only 4.85ks so I reckon I was running 4 min/ks?
Looking around at the end and I think everyone was pretty stuffed (and glad it was only 4.85ks), with Mikey even giving it a glowing reference, and saying its perhaps the toughest session on the program?
I might see if I can get it on the program once a month – I’ll have a word with the hierarchy.

Over the years we’ve seen some strange, bizarre and just plain ridiculous sights, think Slim Sammy Agnew’s haircuts, Tommy H’s drunken appearances, Razor Wareham’s hats and even Clarkeys recent running attire but today took the cake …………..Step up the Telstra boys Pete Walker and ‘The Champ’ (who both should know better) and rocked up with ‘Pierced Nose Rings’ Seriously what’s that about ????????????? I saw ‘The Champ’ first and thought as he is younger it was a NEW fashion statement but once I saw ‘Father Time Walker’ with the same I feared the worst.
Managed to snap a couple of pics of the two – take a look.

Will be out in the morning, will try to do 12ks around the park


Pete Waker with his NEW Nose Ring at todays session.


...and 'The Champ' follows his coach in doing the same, It must be a Testra thing ?
I do worry at times with some of my training partners.

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment