Monday, August 15, 2016

City to Surf 52.07


Well I say it every year and this year was no different, the annual City to Surf is my favourite race day on the calendar and I went into this year’s run in good form and confidence high after a solid block of 8 weeks training. Just a slight bit of apprehension though with the marathon in my legs from only two weeks back kept me a little grounded mind.

I think one of the highlights of the run is the warm up and getting the chance to mingle with everyone around the start area, Saw pretty much the whole team at one point or other before toeing the start line standing beside latest man in form Scotty O’Connor.

It’s a fast start and I’m keen not to get too excited especially as I hate that first test up to Edgecliff at the 2.5k mark of the race, then it’s the fast section as you head into Double Bay and the ‘Golden Sheaf’ where for the first time in about 25 years I don’t hear ‘Mustang Sally’ blasting out from the pub rooftop that has me thinking that I must be behind time. Start to settle and feel as if I’m moving OK as I can see Jeet just ahead before the 5k mark that tells me he’s either struggling or I’m up on time. Hit the 5k mark at O’Sullivan Street in about 18.20 that was slightly down and had a shock as I went past birthday boy Jerome who it seemed was done for the day and confirmed this race as one of the toughest going and takes no prisoners. Tried hard to bring the heart rate down before ‘Heartbreak Hill and seemed to get up over the top without too much damage done and then got a nice surprise as Jerome was back on and offering up encouragement to me as we then seemed to drag each other for the next couple of Ks as we turned right at Watsons Bay and into Military Rd. The worst section of the race for me is always at the 9.5k  and its torture in just getting to that 10k sign, A quick check of the watch sees a 5k split of 19.43 (slower than my goal of 19) as overall time hits 38 mins and I know I’d have to boot it home from there to better my time of 12 months ago.

Even at 10ks the long 600m drag is slow and torturous for me as instead of the pace coming down it goes in the opposite direction and I’m relieved to see the water that means I can kick it down all the way home. I have Mark Ashworth shouting out behind me to keep it going and I see Jeet & Jerome  just ahead as I somehow find something in the legs as I must be travelling around 3.20 pace for once.  Surf Club at 13k comes and know the last one is tough but then get the shock of my life when I see Ireland’s finest Enda staggering around looking like he’s just consumed 12 schooners in the nearby Surf Club, Surely can’t be a repeat of last year’s epic? I then try to find something extra and go past strong as I know he will fight tooth and nail not to let me get one over him. A new turnaround at Curlewis St sees a slightly faster ending and turning into the car park only leaves you about 200m to go and I try to sprint finish to get close to that sub 52 time.  Sadly I was 7 seconds over as I stopped the clock in 52.07, a solid enough effort but I didn’t quiet have it over the later hills at the 9.5k stage and lost 30 seconds between there and the 11k.

Like the start of the race the finishing area is special as you see all the team all within the space of about 5 minutes as the success stories start to unfold. As usual many a fine run although across the board most people’s times were slightly down ? The good came in the shape of Eastside Elle, Bruce, Angus, Jac, Gleeso, Roberts and Champ, The Bad came from Jerome who I  was predicting big things for and the horrible came from Mr Stankard again who once again failed to deliver in the ‘World’s Toughest’ Race coming home on all fours for the 2nd year in succession.

The Timmy Run of the Day’ though (and I’m getting sick of saying it) goes to good mate ‘Geordie Boy’ Tommy H – does this lad ever run a bad race? Brilliant effort in being first home to record a time of 45.28  to continue his dominance over ‘Me, Myself and I’ man Barts.

 

Some of my splits from Sunday

0 - 5k      18.20

5 – 10k  19.43

10 -14k  14.09 (3.33 pace)

 

Once all recovered I then had to help Enda stagger back to his house as he kindly hosted brekkie but with regular cook Super Kev absent I was the chosen one to keep the regulars happy all the while Enda was sat with feet up  on the couch enjoying watching Mo take out the 10’000m. A decent crowd enjoyed a top brekkie and many thanks for the ‘Angel’ Angela and Enda for once again keeping the gang all fed and watered.

The day is not complete without the ‘Allen’s marquee tent with the host Tommy H opening the doors once again, Quality afternoon over the course of the next 5 hours or so as the banter was in full flow.  It’s here that winning and losing bets are settled and first up Sammy J joined the Lindop party handing over his $20 after he failed to cover the 2 minutes, Jeet next up did likewise, and Birch didn’t escape either. On the down side ‘Shark’ Highnam’s reputation as a fair punter took a massive dive south when the 5 minute handicap ( I was never going to win) meant I was handing over. So bad I think Tommy  was embarrassed about it ( I know I was for him).

Over to the Bondi Hotel to end the day for the final few hours and ‘The Chairman’s fine day was almost over before he got in as he got the ‘tap on the shoulder’ even before his taxi had arrived this year.

Again. Prefect day but boy was I to suffer on the Monday.

 

A couple of rest days now but then back into it as I feel I have some decent form to head to the Sydney Run Festival and run a solid Half come September?

 
A few pics from the weekend

Cheers

 PS, If anyone sees that Wrexham Taffy Craig tell him he owes me $40 after his failure to get within the 5.15 handicap time J
 
Early doors, alongside Jeet and Bruce.
Run of the Day - Tommy H leads a team into the tunnel.
Another one done and dusted.
Finish line with Skippy, Jerome, Macca, Nicky Roberts, Yido Darren Jordan and Craig.
Breakfast time at the Stankards - top food.
With 'Leech' Eoin and Jerome.
Big Improver - Nicky Roberts. Man's in fine form.
With my team captain - Barts who let his team down.
You can take the girl out of the Shire.. but...
Time to pay up - thanks Sammy J.
While Jeet looks less happy
Rorted. Say NO more.
With two of the best around - even if they do try to shaft the little Stoke battler.
With the team enjoying the day at the Allen's tent.
Its a day for everyone as Macca and I catch up with 'Cat Girl and friend,

Cheers












 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment