Saturday, July 2, 2016

Homebush Striders -36.49


Rolled up to the 6th Striders 10k race with a solid 4 weeks training behind me and was in good spirits and hopeful that today was the day that I got back in the 36s. Very light on with many heading north but it was a good turnout from those that had remained in town with Fats, Prince Ho, Hamish and NOTB boys Macca, Benny Boy, Craig, Dicky and Geoff Cooper on the start line.  A short  warm up with Fats before the off on another bitterly cold morning.

Was keen to run a smarter race, that meant NOT going out too hard , that said I went through the first 1000m in 3.29 Settled after that and worked my way into the run. Caught Benny Boy around the 3.5k marker as we approached the common area for the first time and was happy he came with me as we then seemed to work together for 4 minutes or so before I felt he dropped off before coming back onto the bus lane.

Can’t remember the exact time  I came through half way but knew I was still on track and concentrated on just taking one k at a time. Splits were pretty consistent (bar the 7th) and around the 8k mark I started to do the maths and realised basically I had 8 minutes to run the final 2ks to break what has been the elusive sub 37 . K #9 down in 3.36 but then realised I was still a long way down the path and upon hitting the final hill the clock was already on the 36 minute marker. Got a scare and it then meant I had to lift for a final time although in doing so it meant I passed Craig Mac with about 50 metres to go as I hit the line in 36.49

Splits I had were. 3.29, 3.41, 3.36, 3.36, 3.39, 3.34, 3.42, 3.37, 3.36, 3.35 – average 3.37s

Delighted with the way the race went and nice to get back in the 36 time frame .Felt pretty good throughout and pleased to see all the recent training paying off. Will now back up next Sunday for the Harbour 10k around the City on a fast course to see if I can knock that time down even more.

 

Will be back out in the morning for the Sunday long run, have lined up Hoey and Jerome for help and may take in some of the City to Surf course along the way.

 

Good luck to all those up the Gold Coast either in the Half or Full marathon, expecting some good fast times from the gang, although I suspect we’ve already got the Timmy Run of the Meeting? Step up Tommy H again who smashed his way to a 30 odd second PB in the 10k event to record a stunning 31.30 – absolutely brilliant and I can’t see anyone beating that time this year.

 

And finally huge congratulations to my mates Taffy James & Craig who’s Wales team knocked out Belgium this morning in the footy. Fantastic result that now sees them in the semi final and means I may have to head down to get my Welsh Dragon shirt for the next game.


Dicky, Coops, Hamish, Fats, Timmy, Craig Mc, Macca and Benny Boy.
Hoey, feeling a bit under the weather didn't have one of his better days but still found himself at the pointy end of the race.
My team were send packing from France, but not without one final photo - Useless fxxks.
...and the papers didn't miss them either.

Cheers



2 comments:

  1. Nice one Young Timmy, hopefully with the birthday and a faster course your age percentage performance is set to sky rocket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Young Timmy, hopefully with the birthday and a faster course your age percentage performance is set to sky rocket.

    ReplyDelete