Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Canberra Half Marathon 84.20


Down to Canberra for the half and first real test of the season. Car pooled with the Taffy Lad and the Love Doctors (Vic’s & Craig) and after a less than impressive early pasta dinner on the Saturday I was greeted by a large team of the HuRTS mob that were also down for the weekend on the Sunday morning.

Usual pleasantries on the start line as I warmed up with good mate Kanser , Birchy all the while Jeet snubbed me (think it was due to the fact I didn’t have my name of the bib unlike him).

A much better vibe around the start area this year as we had ‘Triathlete Matty doing the commentary unlike previous years where we are forced to listen to Pat Carroll drown on. A good start and I settle early trying to keep the pace more conservative whilst many around me fly out the traps. Have a good chat to Muzza who’s on 80 minute pacing duties and has HuRTS Brendan, and Mitch sitting nicely with him. I check the watch at the first 5k split and see 19.13 (3.51s) that I’m happy enough with.  The first of the little climbs comes around the old start area at 7k then again at 9 as you get upon the bridge and I can feel the pace drop slightly.

You get a hairpin at the 12k marker and my first real chance to see how the front guys are going and to keep an eye out for all those that are hunting me down. Jeet looks good, as too does Birchy who is leading Kanser around and I’m delighted to see my two clients Craig and Victoria rolling well past half way.

Was pretty much running solo for much of the way so stoked when I see Adrian McGarva appear from nowhere and I think (hope) he will drag me home, but NO... He run about 200m in which time he told me he didn’t have a bib and was just out for a jog........Thanks for your help mate.

Didn’t lose much time going through the 15k marker, just about hanging on to sub 4 min/ks and soon after saw the leading guys making the way home.  Got to the furthest turnaround point at 17ks and had hoped to bring it home strong but was battling from the 18k mark. The last climb back upon the bridge broke me and even the downhill coming off it I wasn’t able to take advantage.

The final 1k the crowds come out and you get a lift (thanks Damo) as I try to do the maths in my head thinking 83.40 is ON the cards, but that last 400m or so where you have to go past the finish and come around is a killer and I must have passed out as I lost about 40 seconds somewhere ?

Crossed the line in 84.20 (3.58 average) – happy enough and that’s what I had predicted for myself pre race so I can’t do more than that.

The 5ks splits I had for the run were:

5k    19.13

10k  19.41

15k  19.58

20    20.10

Finish  5.17

 

Some brilliant efforts in the half in the right conditions with C.T 3rd home, Jeet running a big PB, Birchy breaking 90, Craig 92 (8 minute course PB) and Vic’s breaking 100 mins for the first time to PB in 99.51

All good but the BIG news was to come in the full marathon with ‘The Prince’ Michael Ho having the ‘Timmy Run of the Day’ to finish 2nd overall thanks to his 2.29:15 sensational time. Unbelievable.  Class act this man is and already has put a stake in the ground for the top honours come December for presentation time I feel.

My little Welsh mate Taffy James put in a gutsy effort as well with his 3.10 despite barely walking only 7 days prior and now heads to Comrades with his qualifier safely under his belt

Times for other HuRTS

Full.

Michael Ho    2.29:15

Ray Wareham 2.42:28

Nick Roberts    2.43:51

John Binfield    2.45:50

Eoin Reville       2.48:04

Darren Moyle  2.54:05

Chris Graham   2.59:13

James Matthews 3.10:14

Dave Butcher     3.25:30

 

Half.

Chris Truscott  73.40

Jeet Aich         78.57

Mitch Hayes  80.07

Anthony Murrell 80.32 (pacer)

Brendan Fehon  82.10

Tim Lindop      84.22

Greta Truscott 86.06

Paul Birch         89.13

Dave Kane      90.01

Craig McLaughlin 92.02

Victoria Arthur  99.51

 

 

A nice breakfast followed in Lonsdale Street with the team with the best Bacon & Egg Rolls in town before returning to Sydney for an evening of entertainment in Surry Hills at the Dove & Olive. Great night out with plenty of banter going around. I was forced to settle all bets , lost out to Jeet and Birchy who I didn’t mind as they run superb races, Got shafted by C.T who I knew was never going to run over 74 minutes, but had collects from Taffy, Craig (he will learn and be better for the experience J ) and Old Kanser was never at the races as I got one over him.

Kicked on well into the evening with the Taffy Boyo and the Doctors last men standing.

Quality weekend all up and is fast becoming  a  ‘must do’ weekend on the HuRTS calendar each year.

 

A few pics from race day and post race what we do so well.

 

7k mark
Just for Enda, how you are supposed to cross the finish line.
Post run with Muzza, Hoey and the Leech Eoin.
With Undisputed HuRTS #1 - Prince Hoey, a class act ON and OFF the running track.
Jeet, An early nomination for 'I gave it Everything' Award
The Team doing what we do best.
Settling losing bets to Birchy for $20
And shafted by C.T
Well beaten by Jeet.
And getting a little back from Craig.
Taffy always good for a collect, even if he does want to pay up with his credit card.
Delighted for good clients Craig and Victoria, with Vic's big PB for the day and Craig getting an 8 minute course PB . Both always the last to stand as well come the end of the night :)

Cheers










 

1 comment: