Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Timmy's Double Header Set - Hills and Tempo.


Toughest set on the HuRTS calendar and with 30 degree plus temps it wasn’t one for the faint hearted so obviously no sign of Stankard, Bartlett, Ho, Birch, Herington, James or even Jeet today for the ‘Timmy Double Header’ Hills and Tempo Combo set. Respect though to the ‘Chairman Tommy H who was present after his 17th straight day on the booze (and smelt like it as well), Irelands #1 Macca, Jerome, #1 Renee (only female) Gleeso, as well as TWO of my clients that I managed to get along to try to the group out.

20 minute hill repeat is the first leg and with Englishman Nick Roberts flying out, I wasn’t far behind 2nd and 3rd in (little)Tom & Brucie Lambert as I was trying to settle at a comfortable pace.  6 Minutes gone and already feeling the effects but even though they may have been taking it easier I’m happy to stay ahead of Macca, Tom, Jerome and Skippy Heyden as I tick off another little milestone at half way catching #1 Renee.

Offer Gleeso some encouragement as I go past him but feel as if my pace is dropping but the same must be happening to the others as no one has come past yet except for Jerome who tries to drag me up for the penultimate hill. Get to 19.30 on the clock and finally Macca comes past huffing like a steam train on the last hill as I just hit the top as the 20 minute clock ticks over.

Absolutely buggered and I think many were happy to drink the nearby water fountain dry at this point before we were into part two. Tom tried to break the group into 2 – but must have been talking ‘Double Dutch’ as no one paid any attention as most of the faster group were already gone before our main group set off.

Easier first k on the downhill at 3.47 but struggled on the 2nd and Tommy H was to come good dropping back to ensure I kept an honest pace as 7.50 was seen for 2ks. The little hill on the turnaround nearly broke me but somehow pushed the pace back on the downhill to get close to the main pack again but from Mrs Macs Chair onwards I was battling all the way.

One hill to go before the expressway and once I got over that I could see J.C and Darren Jordan ahead and tried to reel them in with Tommy H barking out the orders to go past.  Never been so happy to see the Stone Gates and I’m not sure if I was hugging it or it was just propping me up at the end – either way it wasn’t a pretty look.

Details of the Day – 20 min hill repeats 4.88ks average 4.07 pace

                                        5k Tempo – 19 minutes average pace 3.56 pace (about 150 metres short in truth)

 

Good session and it looked like everyone was in the HURT box as we recovered at the Stone Gates,  Thanks to the Chairman for helping me out and is already on my shortlist for next year’s ‘Spirit’ Award for his efforts.

Well done also to clients Craig and Alex, who toughed it out and saw at first hand just how tough the HuRTS team really is.

 

Tomorrow is the last swim T/T of the year, let’s hope there is no repeat of the blatant cheating this month like what went on in November with ‘Speed Suits’ and the like.

 

Cheers

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment