Monday, December 21, 2015

BRAT Triathlon 68.21 - 5th place


Very hot and windy with temps up over 30 degrees and feeling pretty ordinary after a week on the booze for what was the last race of the year down at Heffron for the BRAT Sprint triathlon.

Was unsure if I was in fact going to even line up after words were exchanged at registration but more on that later, as I chatted with HuRTS Brendan Krone, Hardman and Gun swimmer Aaron Cook as well as a few others that I knew I’d be doing well  to beat.

Placed myself in lane one albeit last to go and even by the first 50m I was struggling and upon coming back for complete 100 I was out the back and swimming solo, Never got my breathing right and seemed to stop every 50m for a split second or two to try to control. With Kroney and the likes getting out the pool I still had another 100m to get through and I knew I was in for a long day. Touched out in a slow 12.55 and into T1 getting set for the 20k – 10 laps ahead.  Once again I pretty much rode the whole way solo, only passing the slower riders as I went in search of the others who had at least 90 seconds start on me. The wind was playing havoc over the back part of the course on each lap but I was pleased to eventually chase down top girl Nicole just as we were coming into T2 with a solid enough bike time of 34 minutes.

The 3 lap 5k run was torture and with no chance of getting a podium I was content just to see it out running at 4 minute per/k pace but even that seemed as if I was running at 3 minute ks. Run time of 20 minutes dead to cross the finish mat in 68.21 for 5th overall.  Kroney took out the win with Frenchman Vincent 2nd, Cookie 3rd (thanks mainly to his 10 minute swim no doubt),with Mat Myers only about 20 seconds ahead in 4th.

The race was not without its drama as well as course marshal (Kroney) who was to put the cones out mixed up the turnaround point with many of the competitors running an extra 600m – Geez the things he will do to gain the win, words fail me  J

 

So last race of the year and unfortunately it could also be my last race in the famous BRAT colours after the committee were at it again upsetting the members. I rocked up to pay only to be tasked ‘Had I  registered online?’ When I confirmed in the negative I was then asked to pay DOUBLE for the privilege – WTF ?

A bit of a stand-off took place whilst I took it up with others all to no avail,  Absolutely unbelievable, and my point was it was not costing the club any extra to put the race on but now wanted to charge everyone extra without no notice just because you didn’t pre register. The way the club is being run is in my eyes appalling and it’s little wonder its members are not happy and in turn nobody is supporting races anymore. Not sure who these people think they are but they really do need to have a good look at themselves.

Very poor form from all.

** Rant over.

 

A good few beers in the afternoon and evening to help replenish the lost supplies and I just made sure I had my phone switched OFF and wasn’t taking any messages from my old mate Slim Sammy Aggers after his Tin Pot Palace boys come to ‘The Brit’ and basically got lucky and STOLE the points with a 1-2 victory. He’s been a nightmare all day today mind you.

 

Cheers

 

 

With Mat Myers, Cookie as Santa and race winner Kroney post race.

No comments:

Post a Comment