Monday, August 18, 2014

HuRTS Twenty 20

No the HuRTS boys haven’t taken to the shorter version of cricket, today’s session was 2 x 20 minute efforts with a 3 minute recovery at half way, Shocker of a day in Sydney town and the heavens opened as I was driving into the session – luckily it stayed dry for the 40 minutes whilst we were working hard.

Good crowd out again, and after a brief chat we were off. The front runners were soon away and it was good to see Chairman Tommy H have a purpose in his step today doing some work and tuck in with Quentin & C.T, I was feeling good and soon settled into the pace I had told Mike I was looking to do and that was 3.48, although I was running solo pretty much for the whole 20 minutes. Took the break just passing Watermark/ Pier One at 5.35ks (ave 3.48s),
Upon starting the return I could see Angus Boyd and the Taffy Lad under the bridge so put the extra effort in to try to close the gap around the passenger terminal that also saw us catch Pete Walker and The Champ. Had issues in getting past The Taffy Lad, wasn’t sure at first if he was messing around zig zagging but realized it was just his extra 12 kilos around his girth that he is carrying so gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Tucked in with Pete coming around the O.H and with 10 minutes to go realized I needed to keep it strong at Farm Cove with the dreaded hills over the final stages, went past a few more of the guys but going up the hill near the A.B.C Pool nearly killed me. Mikey who was taking it easy today saw I was struggling at this point and lifted his game to help me out once back on the road, felt I was going backwards on the final little climb just before the expressway but was happy to see no one except the Chairman and Quentin actually come past at any stage.  I lifted for one last kick coming past the art gallery before getting back to the stone gates with Skippy Heyden close by  in 19.54
5.35ks out in 3.48s, back in 3.46s for 10.7ks in total, Happy with that and that works out at a sub 38 minute 10k  which I’ve even battled to do within races over the past 5 months.
In the past I wouldn’t be seen once the words ‘Tempo’ were mentioned for the HuRTS  sessions so even happier that I am now doing them and getting back to the finish line within the designated time frame, getting stronger with each session. At this rate I might even have a chance of getting some cash back from that Stankard bloke who is giving me the customary 4 minutes at the next Striders 10k?

Will be out for an easy 12ks in the morning – might see if the BRAT Hardmen and the likes of ‘Cement’ Hanley, and Shire’s #3 Damo Bray are around the park.

Sunday at the Golden Sheaf to help celebrate Pommy Paul Birch's birthday, seen with J-Fen, Sam & Olivia and Social Queen Sonia, Birchy looking good for 40 years of age...........thanks mainly to his new hairdo, His Hairdresser Rupert was at the bar when this photo was taken.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment