Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sydney/State 10k - 37.04

With heavy rain and dark skies on the drive out to Homebush thoughts turned to what many presumed would be a tough morning – Fast forward a couple of hours and the HuRTS team were left with a number of PBs and many more feeling pretty good after a mornings work.
The State 10k was the next race on the list for the team  with a full quota of representatives on show, a short warm up chatting to everyone including the Chairman, Enda, Rich H, and Barts I lined up alongside Angus and Todd as I thought they were more my pace to at least try to hang onto for the next 37 minutes or so.
The mad dash of a start took place and tried to hold back on the first k but still saw 3.25 flash past, Then tucked in with Angus for a few ks before realizing I was never going to hold that.  The steady rise back up to the old finishing line was a battle and was happy enough to see 18.08 on the clock at the 5k mark as I set out for the 2nd lap.
Was pretty much feeling the pace from about the 7k but hung in there without losing too much time, managed to get a good look on who was close by on the hairpin bend at 7.5ks and with Todd and Jeet closing in I knew I’d be doing well to hold out. The climb back up the hill past the stadium was a killer for me and I felt as if I literally labored on the right turn as I approached the 9k mark of the race.  Soon after Jeet and Todd finally came by and I lifted to stay on them thinking that I could perhaps find something to outkick them if I was close enough over the final 300m.
Nobody told me there was still a bloody hill to climb on the far side of the track with 500m to go and I nearly cried just at the sight of it, came into the stadium on the heels of the two boys and had the tactics to kick for home at the 120m mark…………Unfortunately both decided to get the jump on me and kicked at the 125m leaving me that split second in their wake. Gave it one more go and actually got on the shoulder of Jeet only for him to hold out and beat me to the line with a  second to spare and  Todd a further second ahead again.
Crossed in 37.04 officially, pretty happy with that  and certainly my best time for the year so hopefully heading in the right direction at long last.
As mentioned at the top of the post there were many great times from the gang and special mention must go to Renee on smashing through the 40 minute barrier on a massive 2.12 minute PB, and to fellow Englishman Pommy Paul BUT the much sought after Timmy’s Run of the Day goes to old mate Enda Stankard, absolute superb effort on his way to a 50 second PB to come home in 33.46 ( about bloody time he put something on the board), great to finally see that all that travelling for training and eating Dogs B@lls and Sheep’s semen has paid off for him J
Times for the team (that I know) were;

Barts 32:15,
CT 32:31,
 Chairman 32:37,
 Quentin 33:16,
 Enda 33:46,
Darien 33:50,
Fats 34:25,
 Muz 34:35,
 Dicky High 34:37,
 Dicky Palmer, 34:38,
Rich Mullaney 35:04,
Angus 36:00,
Craig Pager 36:04,
Todd 37:02,
Jeet 37:03,
Timmy 37:04,
Sam Towill 37:26,
Ben S 37:41,
Greta 37:58,
Erika kaka 38:02,
 KiltedScot 38:16,
 Birchy 38:40,
 Renee 39:39.
Apologies if I’ve missed anyone.

Managed to clean up on the days bets that made it even better,
Despite Enda’s heroic performance it still wasn’t good enough to beat me by more than 3.30 minutes – so a collect there.
Tommy H despite dying all week with a cold still got within 25 seconds of Barts – collect there
Kanser as usually didn’t show (some were saying, ‘Running scared’?) – so I’ll also add that to the collection.



Whist ALL the BIG boys and girls were battling it out at Homebush one of our popular members of the team took a slightly somewhat easier option for the morning ……….Step up to the plate one Renaud “Allo Allo’ Herington who travelled the length of the East Coast in search of victory that finally took him to the ‘Curl Curl Park Run’  Pleased to announce that victory did go his way but he didn’t have it all his own way,  with him only just outkicking some 9 year old girl in the last 150m.
Congrats to ‘our party boy’ But I do think he may have gone a little O.T.T on the post race celebrations – check out the photo as he broke the tape on the line.

Backed up this morning for the Sunday long run, but will post more about that later on (plus some more of Renaud’s antics) later on in the day, just out now for a few beers and may take in the A League Final between the Roar and Sydney Westie Wanderers.
Timmy’s Tip – Take the Brissie boys to lift the ‘Toilet seat Cup’ 2-0

The home straight with Todd first home, Jeet then I a further second behind in 37.04


Meanwhile, at Curl Curl - Renaud can't hide his excitement at winning the 'weetbix 5k'



...and once he had calmed down this is the SHAMEFUL face of one 'Allo Allo' man

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment