Wednesday, July 31, 2013

E.S. Marks 5k time Trial - 18.23

Down to E.S. Marks Oval for the 3rd time trial that coach Angry Boy Clyde has been putting on and is slowly growing that saw HuRTS boys Bartles, C.T, Kroney, and the Sweaty Sock (Craig) also join Enda, Tom and I on a perfect night for running.
A good warm up before we were all set, was feeling pretty good after a solid 3 weeks training and was looking to run sub 18 minutes for the 12.5 laps. Tucked in behind Enda for the first couple of laps with the front 3 already off in the distance, settled what I thought was a good pace and just tried to keep it as even as I could.  Heard Clyde call out 7.04 as I completed 2ks and thought if I could hold that pace I was on for sure to break the 18 minute barrier that I had set myself.
Never felt as if the pace dropped off any like it did for the 2nd time trial a month ago but was more then surprised when I crossed the line to look and see a time of 18.23 on the watch – Pretty disappointing to be honest, not so much in the run but the fact I was relying TOO much on the GPS. On the previous T/Ts I’ve checked my watch for every lap but for this one I was just working on every k and apart from the 4th it was showing I was running sub 3.30s (that meant a 17.30 would have been run?)
Anyway my point is that as much as I like the Garmin’s you should never rely on them 100% (especially on the track), I should have known better and been more experienced but we live and learn. My Kay splits what were showing were; 3.16, 3.28, 3.27, 3.36, 3.27
Note to Mikey – never trust the Garmin as mine was showing I run 5.32k for last night and I’m pretty sure I never ventured out of lane 1 at any stage L

Some great runs by the front runners, with Bart’s keeping his fine form up leading Tom and C.T home, Enda like he does at training struggles to count past 10 once he runs out of fingers, (stopping on the finish line with Tom on 11.5)  but still finished with a time of 17 minutes.

Talking Enda – I am hereby announcing that I will NO longer be offering any more bets to our little Irish friend after I offered him more then a fair bet before the off last night that he would not accept. With me looking to break 18 minutes and Enda to run under 17 I thought 60 seconds would be close to the mark. Unfortunately he didn’t have the b@ll$ or the confidence in his own ability and in the end it cost him as he smashed me by over 83 seconds.
So as it stands I only have 2 bets running “Live’ and that is with J-Fen (12 minutes) and C.T whilst we are in Berlin.  Need to have a have a word with the Chairman as we normally get pretty close on our wages with either one of us taking out the winnings by the smallest of margins.

Results from last nights time trial - pretty sure i never got out of lane 1 at any time.
Mikey- can you give Steve 'Action' Jackson a call to get down there to re measure the track? :)

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment