Saturday, June 4, 2016

Hardcore Weekend, Striders 10k and Sunday Long Run


Saturday

Over to the dark side (and it was very dark) for the Striders North Head 10k race, had planned to pick up the ‘Love Doctors’ Craig & Vic’s on route but they must have checked out the weather and had other ideas?  Worst conditions in living memory only probably rivalled by Mikey Conway and the ‘Stallion’ Durante’s infamous ‘paying race entry only to return to the car and drive back to the Eastern Suburbs’ incident about 8 years back. It meant a smaller than normal turnout but it couldn’t keep the true HuRTS hardcore away in girls, Erika, Eastside Elle, Leech, Macca, Sammy J, Lichtwark, Special ‘Q’ and of course the ‘Beast from the North East’ Tommy H wasn’t about to miss out on home turf either.

Training been going OK and was confident heading into the race and was sure a sub 37 was on the cards, despite the overnight storms. I thought we might cop a lucky break as when the gun went it was ideal conditions with NO wind, warm and only a slight drizzle.

Through the first 1k at 3.30 pace before settling into race pace for the next two getting to the furthest point of the race, 3ks ticked off and with the first of the steady climbs to come I was still moving fine. What happened next basically just stuffed most runners best laid plans as the mother of all storms came in that made for an horrendous final 6ks or so. Did my best to tuck into the first lady (Gemma) and some other guru but that was hard enough as heading out for the 2nd part of the run I was losing at least 10 seconds per k as I was still feeling OK but seemed to be getting nowhere. Despite how hard it was I was happy to see that I wasn’t getting overtaken at any stage so I knew everyone was in the same boat as I was battling the elements. Tried to stick with the first lady but found she was just getting away from me over the last 2ks as I finished it off crossing the line in 38.04.

Time doesn’t really give a true reflection on how I run as it was probably the best I’ve felt all season in truth and talking to others at the end it was generally considered the conditions were adding between 60 – 90 seconds on to the times

My splits were: 3.30 3.39, 3.37, 3.43, 3.46, 3.52, 3.51, 3.42, 3.48, 3.49

 

After getting out all my wet running gear I was then blindsided by The Chairman to head into Manly for a bit of breaky, Geez, even all his NOTB mates steered clear and were nowhere to be seen as Tommy went all out to impress as he ordered his ‘DELUXE’ Bacon & Egg roll (think it had extra poppy seeds), although I was happy to stick with the toast and coffee to see me right until back over the bridge.

 

Bloody tough old morning but pleased I run and getting stronger as each run passes I feel.

NO sign of Enda, Leech, Jeet, Fats, Crossy Lad.... all said it was too wet ...... Shameful.

 

 Sunday.

Hardcore Part 2 as I made my way to the park for the Sunday long run. Rocked up in the pi$$ing rain to find no one except the Irish captain and NEW hardman Super Kev. Did the usual 6k loop even going through a flooded road that saw us plough through knee deep before returning to the cafe to pick up Lady Laura, Fats, Brucie Lambo, Ant Donnelly and A. Shire. Head  - very impressed by the same team in such conditions as we headed out the park on the 10k loop.  Nearly lost Laura at the 4k mark as her 4ft.6 frame was no match in the floods and Super Kev had to rescue her with a fireman’s lift to higher ground before we could continue.

Pace was kept honest and was working at a little over 4.30 pace as I was keeping a nervous eye on the tree branches heading up Anzac Parade, Back to the cafe brought up 16 for the morning was then happy to ease around for one more flat loop before calling it a day on 20ks and heading to the coffee house nearby once I’d changed.

90 minutes all up for 20ks averaging 4.37s .

 

As tough a weekend running wise as I can remember and kudos to all that got out on either Saturday or Sunday. On the flip side it was a pathetic effort from many of the East boys today, NO Enda, NO Jerome, NO Sweaty, NO Jeet, NO Renaud, NO J.C, NO Ho, NO Kanser, NO Richie Large. Strangest thing I heard was that certain members refused to run Striders (excuse - conditions too wet) only to front for the Park Runs & Weetbix 2.5k races and WIN them, no names ..... Fats, B Grade Binfield, Jeet and Renaud – shocking.
 
Proper Hard - leading from the front Tommy H and I post run.
 
Top Man, Old training partner 'The King' Damo Tancred, great to see him having a run out.

Manly's finest - thank Christ Prince Ho wasn't around, he would have had an epileptic has this shown up in front of him. And this was the 'DELUXE' version.

Faux Pas of the Day - Tommy H uses the car space whilst a poor Mum had to park elsewhere and walk over 750m in the pouring rain with 3 screaming kids - poor form that.

Will be back out tomorrow for the Monday swim ,Lets hope its stopped raining or else we won't be seeing Crossy Lad either.

Cheers



 
 
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. AND yet you were no where to be seen at the pool today!!!!
    Bloody disgrace!

    ReplyDelete