Sunday, May 1, 2016

Darkes Forest 10 Miler (16ks) - 65.29 5th


Saturday.

Got an invitation from Crossy Lad to head down south and join him and his Sutherland Run Club for a 10 miler (16ks) trail run, didn’t realise at the time I’d need to take my passport and change about 5 times zones to get there mind as I headed deep into ‘Shire town’ near Stanwell Tops at a place called Darkes Forest. 

Took Birchy and Taffy along as well and after a quick course run down (out 4ks and back twice) we were off,  Crossy flew out and with club mates Nick Bennett and one other not far behind I was happy with 4th place working around the 3.52 pace to the first of the turnarounds. Had 5th place pretty much sitting off me all the way back as the pace dropped thanks mainly to a decent climb on the start of the return. He eventually took me about 500m before completion of the first lap and I was contemplating on pulling up stumps and not even bothering to head back out for the 2nd.

Still, it wasn’t worth the abuse I’d get from Crossy so headed out again and sat with the lad on his shoulder all the way until the last turning point at 12ks. Blowing very heavy coming up the hill and as much as I tried I had nothing and was broken that in turn reduced me to a walk/shuffle for about 30 metres as he opened the gap that I had no hope of clawing back. Wanted to at least finish strong but kind of laboured for the final 10 minutes or so but was still happy enough to cross the line in 65.29 average pace 4.06s for 5th place

4k splits – 15.36 (3.52), 16.16 (4.05), 16.34 (4.08), 17.00 (4.15)

Great effort from host Crossy Lad on taking out the win and breaking the 60 minutes, and good runs from the Birchmaster and Taffy that will stand them well for the Half and Comrades races they have coming up.

Sat in the road post race with drinks that Crossy supplied and went down well even if it was the Queensland trash XXXX before the long journey home, I swear I could have gone to Thailand in quicker time.

Bloody tough afternoon, but figured these type of runs are perfect for toughening up the legs and hopefully help me come SMH Half in a fortnight?

Many thanks to Andy Cross and his Sutherland Run Club for hosting – I will be back, although next time I might fly down.

 

 

Sunday,.

As tough as it was I was happy to get the run leg out the way on Saturday this week and it meant I could get the last of the official ‘summer’ Ocean swims done. Had to venture over to the ‘Dark Side’ (NOTB) to Curl Curl for it mind you and with rain and heavy cloud I really wasn’t that keen. Nice little turnout as we gathered in the Surf club before heading down the water’s edge for the start.  Pretty flat conditions that made it easier but even after about 2 minutes my breathing was all over the shop. I just never got going and seriously contemplated just saying ‘Stuff it’ and return to shore.  Persevered and tried to slow it all down and bring the heart rate to a reasonable level but had a shock when I looked at my watch some time later and only saw 13 minutes done. Knowing it was a 2k swim and a 40 minute timeframe was the order of the day it wasn’t looking good. Thankfully I did settle during the second half and found some rhythm as I counted the 10 buoys down until I could see the beach at Freshwater.

Happy to stand up and tried to hold it together for the run up the beach and crossed the line in 35.30

Very happy with that time, although I’m 100% sure it was way short (maybe 200m?), but can honestly say it was the longest 35 minutes of my life, Not sure why I do these ocean swims as I can’t ever say I enjoy them at anytime.

A nice walk back around the heads to the Curl Surf Club for the sausage sizzle , and to my horror more beers and yes you guessed it ..... XXXX. Twice in two days, nightmare.  Then had to put up with a quirky band that were poncing around playing an electric range of tunes on the ukulele’s. Looks like NOTB entertainment was working overtime.

 

Great weekend of training, even if I probably didn’t feel like it at the time

 

Cheers

 
Winner Crossy Lad and I post run.

And then joined later by Eastern Suburbs finest - P!$$ Heads, Pommy Paul Birch and Taffy James Matthews.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Timmy for your entertaining anecdotes...and for dropping the F-bomb about a dozen times in front of my 10yr old son (he was in stitches)...for leaving your dirty holey socks in my car...and for complaining every 5 mins about the distance of the venue to anyone who would listen - that last dude is actually deaf which is why he just kept smiling at you. Oh and you told Birchy not to re-cycle jokes! Pot calling kettle mate.
    We've got a handicap race later this season which you'll get a great start for!

    ReplyDelete