Monday, February 29, 2016

Moore Park 3 x 10 minute efforts with Kanser.


Monday.

Woke to a very battered body, foot sore, quads screaming at me and was walking around like a man of 80. Really wasn’t in the mood to swim but with Wollongong this weekend I forced myself down to the pool. No sign of Monday regulars Kroney and Angus whilst I presume it was a tad too cold for Crossy Lad who let me down once again?

One big surprise was that Taffy James arrived that I thought was unusual, that was until I found out what was on this weekend and all his mates are in town and  had also decided for a quick dip (and frolic)

After a warm up I basically did 3 x 500s, One freestyle, the second with pool buoy and the 3rd with buoy and paddles that resulted in quicker times for each. A 200m with Taffy and then the final 100m ‘6 Nations Challenge’ between the Mad Welshman and myself to end. (pleased to report the Red Rose won the battle of the day)

2ks all up.

 

Tuesday.

I knew another hot one was on the cards so enlisted old Kansers help yet again early morning. Despite yesterdays swim I was still walking around very gingerly and in truth wasn’t even sure I’d get through the session. We decided on doing 3 x 10 minute efforts around the Moore Park 1k track on grass as we then tried to work out what pace we should both hold. A big day on the turps yesterday for Kanser meant he looked like he’d already done the session before we started as we both stood around looking for inspiration from each other.

Eventually started and pretty much from the off I was leading out (very unusual when with Kanser) and was holding an honest pace of 3.38s, ticked the first and second lap off and was just over 200m short on the 3rd when the 10 mins was done.

Feeling great and all of a sudden the pain disappeared and even with the hot and humid conditions and Kanser not even on my shoulder I was able to kick it down more on the 2nd effort and roll around at 3.33 pace

Pretty much thought I was done at this point and if Kanser had a called time I wouldn’t have argued, but NO a 3rd was called and surprised myself even further as I was holding, even running slightly quicker going through 2ks in 7 mins (3.30s) before finishing averaging 3.33s

 

Wrecked at the end, but very happy with the end result and its perhaps my strongest set for the year to date,

 Distance and pace  for the 3 were:

2.77ks @ 3.38s

2.85ks @ 3.33s

2.85ks @ 3.33s

 

10ks for the day and  also managed to cycle 25ks for the morning to and from the park.

 

Easy week this week, but will try to get into town tomorrow to catch up with a few of the team for the lunchtime (easy)run.

 

Cheers

1 comment: