Friday, January 15, 2016

St Peters Park Run 18.20 - 4th Overall.


Had a window of an hour so scooted over to St Peters to line up with a record crowd of some 477 to take on the ‘Worlds’ toughest Park Run over 5ks.

Massive crowd and saw two of the latest HuRTS legends from Thursdays sweat fest in Mike Liechwark and ‘Hipster’ Chris (beardy guy). Super fast start from everyone and at the 500m mark I’m positioned no better than about 10th, Get a shout out from spectator Kanser at the 1k mark as I slowly  move my way through the field into 7th by the time I get to 2ks. Still about 400m away from climbing but already dread what’s coming, spirits are raised though when going up the hill I pass a runner as I High 5 some joker all dressed up in fancy dress at the top (swear it sounded like Enda?).

Try to up the pace on the downhill and soon after the 3k mark I pass another runner that sees me now into 4th with 3rd place only some 30 metres ahead and despite feeling average at least it keeps me true to see the final stages out. The final k is a very tough but keep plugging away as Kanser reappears with 200m to go as I finally get on the 3rd place guys shoulder. I wait before I try one last kick for home and as I come level he decides to do the same as we begin a battle to the line. Unfortunately (for me at least) he takes it by a mere second as I stop the watch in 18.20

Still very early in the year but I’m pretty happy with that and hope by Feb I can finally start breaking that 18 minute barrier.

Splits for the day were; 3.31, 3.36, 3.43, 3.35, 3.37 ( and 13 seconds to run the extra distance over 5ks) average 3.37s

Well done to HuRTS boys Chris who just held out Mike Liechwark by a second as well I heard both coming home in around 17.50 (?)

 

Great hit out and wish I had the chance to do more.

 

Heading down to Shire Town tomorrow for the Sunday Long run...... Or more importantly heading down to stuff my fat face of homemade Scones care of Laura’s dear mother Lyn post run, Happy Days J

 

Have a good weekend

Train well, stay safe

Cheers

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment