Thursday, January 21, 2016

HuRTS Elite Biathlon..... without the swim leg.


Morning. 2k really easy swim set down at PAP, didn’t do the usual 3k as didn’t want to knacker myself before the ‘Big Battle’ with Tommy H at the Biathlon later in the day. Followed it up with an even easier 5ks around the Domain as I marked the run course out for the event. Then finished up the morning with coffee with the Chairman whilst trying to work out how much of a start I needed in the swim leg only to be told that he was ‘pulling the pin’ and wouldn’t make the start line.

 

Evening. Rolled up early to find Laura already waiting so decided on a warm up and went over the run course with her,  The team started arriving soon after and just around race start time so did Sydney’s recent Rollercoaster weather. 40 degrees throughout the day but bang on 6.30pm the heavens opened and the thunder and lightning struck that resulted in the pool closure. Stood around for a while deciding on the best course of action, but with no sign of stopping we had to sadly rearrange and just do a 5k running event. Absolutely pelted down and with floods galore it made the run leg that much more difficult.

Quentin and Biathlon Champ Mike Leichwark battled it out at the front , with Lachlan Oates in 3rd way ahead of Leechy, Kroney and myself. I was the first to drop off as early as about 2ks in truth and I was only  running about 3.42s at the time. Ambled my way around Farm Cove to the Stone Gates and managed to check where everyone else was on the turn and just prayed I had enough left to get home without getting overtaken. The rise coming out the Domain back to the road is another tough section with 1k to go as I then made my way down to Mrs Macs Chair and I nearly needed my snorkel to get through a flooded area. Little easier finish heading back to the pool but by this stage there was no way any sort of kick down for home was happening as I crossed the line in 18.42

Solid enough effort I thought in the circumstances, but looking at it I reckon Tommy H would have beat me overall as we worked out prior that 90 seconds would be the magic time difference in the pool.

Quentin took line honours just ahead of Mike, although I believe Mike would have taken the comp had the swim leg been completed, and I’m sure  ace swimmer Dave Butcher would have also been in the mix.

Good  hit out all the same, pity the weather stopped what would have been an interesting little event, On the plus side I’m $20 richer care of the Chairman’s NO SHOW – that I’ll happily put in the betting account for the season ahead.

Ventured over to the Tilbury after for a few beers with the gang to farewell old mate and #1 blog reader ‘The Italian Stallion’ Durante (when he eventually showed up), plenty of banter and laughs along the way, Enda rocks up full of excuses, Tea Towel Tony Fats arrived, C.T staggered off and left early, Taffy was running late missing the run leg and looked like Harry Hill with his NEW collared shirt and the Stallion hit up Harry’s for a final time for another 4 hot dogs and Tiger Pie........ Yep, some things just don’t change with the HuRTS team.

Fun night brought to a close as I shared a cab home with Fats who then took advantage, getting me at a weak moment with me agreeing to a $20 bet for Saturdays Park run with me to get a measly 60 second start

 

 

Rest day on Friday but will try to squeeze in another Park Run on Saturday plus a few more ks as it’s another busy weekend ahead.  Saturday sees my good mate host the popular Irish/ Aussie Day BBQ party, normally one of the best of the year so Sunday’s long run is a certain no go.

In the footy Stoke back up after an impressive display last week against Arsenal with a trip to highflyers Leicester who have taken the league by storm this season. Very tough game but have a few quid on the Potters to come away with a point.

Timmy’s Tip; Leicester 2 v Stoke 2

 

Elsewhere my mate Slim Sammy Aggers has gone very quiet on the footy, I see his Tin Pot Palace outfit haven’t scored a goal in over 5 matches – Oh Dear. Take one man out the team and they start to play like a championship team. Roll on the 4th round of the F.A Cup I say.
 
Biathlon team (L to R) Mike, Hamish, Dave, Lachlan, Jono, Laura, Quentin, Timmy, Hoey, Leech, Greta and Kroney

Have a great weekend
Train well and stay safe
Cheers
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry we are just taking our well earned winter break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mention of the $20 you lost to me based on the agreed 30 seconds for every race in 2016.

    ReplyDelete