Sunday, November 29, 2015

Ocean Swim - Wedding Cake Island, 41.29


Original plan was to do my first Half Ironman out at Western Sydney but with NO work done on the bike that idea was canned and I decided to do my first ‘Wedding Cake Island’ Swim over at Coogee. The thing that puts me off these type of events is the adverse conditions it can throw up and without being a strong swimmer I just pray for nice flat calm conditions.

So you can imagine my horror at 7.36am when the text comes through that we won’t be swimming around the Island due to high waves and unsafe swimming conditions.  Almost went back to bed there and then but somehow lined up on the start line all the same

Good support from Taffy Lad and Birchy for the morning and looking out I would have been happy to stay on dry land and head to the nearest coffee house.

Got the call for my wave start and we were off, let the masses go and stayed far left as we headed out, ......Jesus, even just breaking the waves nearly killed me and after about 10 minutes I looked up and thought I was getting no closer to the buoys.  Had a stop and the lady on the surfboard asked if I was OK? Confirmed YES but was happy to hold on to the board for a minute for a chat and do my best to bring the heart rate back down.

Thanks Annabel, nice to chat but on I must go as I headed to the furthest turnaround point at 800, A little easier on the turn and finally after about 20 minutes I feel as if I am swimming more controlled. Manage to find a decent pair of feet to sit on for the next 600m or so and was mighty happy to take the final left turn around the chequered buoy to get back to the beach,

You normally see people sprinting up the beach for the final 50m or so ...... Well. I certainly wasn’t one of them and it looked like I’d gone about 5 rounds with Mike Tyson as I stopped the watch in 41.29 coming over the line.

Man, I know one thing and that’s I’m NO Ocean swimmer – despite being in good from as my PB from Friday suggests it did little to help me in the big sea.

The swim leg was about 400m short – I got 2.1ks on my GPS , but I wasn’t complaining.

 

Prior to the swim I did manage to get to Centennial first up to knock out a few ks with the guys, Only really had an hour so did an easy 11ks all up at 4.49 pace mostly with Birchy and The Sweaty (Craig) nice to see Laura back with us after an extended break and holidays, not that I got chance to talk to her much as she was way ahead J

 

Nice BBQ post race then the usual Sunday arvo beers back in the Beer Gardens of Newtown.

 

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment