Thursday, April 9, 2015

R.I.P Richie.

A couple of relatively easy days to end the week, easy few ks yesterday to turn the legs over before getting a Thai Massage with the ever impressive ‘Ping Pong’ Patty in the City, before a night out watching a band over a few beers.

Into town to the A.B.C Pool today for the swim set that included 1 x 400, 5 x 200, 5 x 100 and a team relay, good team with Smolley leading the way with Travis, Pete, Brendan, Champaign, Champ, Angus, Leech and the Taffy lad all burning up the pool.
A 6.40 first up got things moving and then I led out the first of the 200s (that was us slower guys, Taffy, Brendan and Champ), all took it in turns after  that meant I was the unlucky one to do a 2nd effort (that Brendan’s a lazy git…never does nowt)
The 100s were pretty easy after that as I got on the Leech’s feet to come in under 1.30 and then I was lucky enough to get paired with Travis for the 100m team relay. Had a good battle with Taffy all the way both touching the tiles at the same time, still, it wasn’t enough as Smolley was long gone and half way down the pool in the meantime to take out the win.

A big weekend again with the trip to Canberra for the half on Sunday, anything around the 84 minute mark will be deemed a good run for me, and if I can get within 2.05 of Jeet then even better. I think Kanser’s come to the party and agreed to me giving him 60 seconds start as well.

In the footy, Stoke travel to the East End and the Scrap dealers of West Ham, whose bubble has well and truly burst since Xmas, Still a tough fixture and I’ll be happy to come away with a draw.
Timmy’s Tip: West Ham  1 vs. Stoke 1

Couldn’t finish without a word on the sad passing of ‘legend’ Richie Benaud,  Sad day indeed, and I can’t think of any other Australian out there as universally loved as what Mr. Benaud was. I know how popular he was in Aussie shores but I suspect he is even more revered by the English.
It’s hard to think of cricket without him, and now that Tony Grieg’s  not with us, Bill slowing down and the death of Richie the commentary box will  forever be lost.
The word ‘Legend and ‘Hero’ is branded around far too easy in sport I reckon, but in all my time I’ve been lucky  to come across  TWO absolute legends of sport. 1. Richie Benaud and 2. Stanley Matthews (the only footballer to be Knighted)

Expecting the funeral to be massive and I doubt if I’ll have seen any bigger in all my time in Oz ?
R.I.P Richie Benaud 6/10/1930  - 10/4/2015



Had a lot or response to the HuRTS lookalikes, unfortunately no one has even come close, I think Tommy H is the highest so far with 5/9, with Laura and Jeet both getting poor 4/9.
Will reveal all tomorrow.
On top of all that I actually got a new one of our ‘Chairman’ Tommy H yesterday after his recent Striders warm up run on Saturday. See if you can spot the resemblance ?


Tommy H - right


Tommy H ??

Also went to check this girl out last night - Lisa Caruso, one of the best voices i've heard for years. Her smoky sweet voice is to die for and a cross between Edith Piaf and a better Casey Chambers.
Check her out if you can.
Lisa Caruso - no finer laid back gig around i reckon.

Have a great weekend
Train well, stay safe
Cheers

1 comment: