Friday, April 3, 2015

A.B.C Pool Biathlon 6th in 19.27

Down to the A.B.C Pool for the final time of the season for the Biathlon, Had put out a call but with Easter weekend I didn’t get any takers with only Lady Laura wanting to take me on after I kindly gave her a 45 second handicap start and was looking for her pound of Pommy Blood.
A good warm before the usual frantic start that saw me in about 15th spot at the first 500m turn, The boys at the front (Mitch Dean – Striders 10k winner) were long gone as I made my way through the field. The taxing hill just before the flyover always gets me but was happy to go past another 2 about the same time. Managed to get to the turn a bit slower than normal in 7.08 and then saw Laura not too far behind and worked out I had about 15 seconds on her at the half way point.
Lifted on the return closing the gap on the two lads ahead but never actually caught them as I got back to the entrance in just a shade over 14 minutes (down about 15 secs on last race) and battled in trying to stay with the two boys, Felt OK for a change and managed the swim leg in under 5 minutes which is good for me, and touched out with a  time of 19.27 for 6th spot overall.
The customary collapse poolside is the normal but had enough in me to watch the time as I was hoping I didn’t see Laura for  45 seconds at least. Happy then when she came home in 20.55 knowing that the first beer of the night was care of the former #1 J

A nice walk over to the nearby Woolloomooloo Bay Hotel followed and was having a decent conversation with Laura when the night was just about to fire up with the arrival of both Taffy James & Pommy Paul both glowing full of an afternoon on the booze.  If that wasn’t bad enough we then had ‘The Chairman’ Tommy H stumble in the joint with his two work colleagues. It was only about 8.30pm at this point but I pre ordered his taxi for 9.45 as I thought he’d be doing well to even get to that time in all honesty.  Sonya also completed the evening with us and the night was set as the beers were in full flow as we then ventured to the next pub once turfed out the Bay Hotel.
The midnight treat over the road to ‘Harry’s Café’ is a Godsend to soak up the alcohol and I was doing well to avoid kicking on with the Taffy Lad & Sonya for even more drinks in the ‘X’
Great night had by all and I suspect there are a few sore heads going around today.
Sights of the Night .
Taffy’s Shirt with the Biggest 1970s collar – what was he thinking
Birchy complete with yet another $170 ‘cut and blow’
Meeting ‘Iron’ Lady herself Maggie Thatcher.

Wrecked today, and it’s not the preparation I was looking for before the Striders 10k on Saturday, and I’ll be doing well to finish the race in my current condition.
So the first part of the Easter Double Header between James/Lindop is in the bag, but I know it will be a lot tougher to take out the 2nd leg over the competitive ‘Shire Lass’ – especially with Tom in her corner backing her all the way (even giving FREE tips out last night)
So confirming bets for the weekend
$20 with Tommy H – he’s backing Laura off scratch
$20 with Laura – me giving Laura a 60 second start on handicap
$20 with Bichy – I’m backing Laura to beat him

Few pics from last night.



Run leg down in 14 mins now for the dreaded swim leg.

Laura not far behind.
and enters the pool better than i did.


Tom needing a helping hand with his 'Mash' from Tafffy.
Man Love - Tommy H loves Birchy's NEW hairdo.


Taffy, where did he get that shirt?


Harry's at 1am in the morning ...... nothing better.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment