Thursday, December 4, 2014

A.B.C Biathlon 2nd in 19.15

With Tommy H away on Zatopek 10k duties in Melbourne there was a new challenge for the A.B.C Biathlon last night in the shape of one Craig ‘the Sweaty Sock’ Wiseman and so an ‘Anglo- Scottish’ Battle was always going to be on the cards.
Somehow got rorted into giving him a 65 seconds start (in a 4k run and 300m swim can you believe?), and knew I’d been done when he snapped my hand off when given the start.
Rolled up and it was hot and humid again, sweating even on the warm up and knew it was going to be a tough 20 minutes that lay ahead. The start was fast with the winner (Mike) and about 7 others including Craig going out like a bullet, reeled them in around the 600m mark and coming back around the pool heading out at the 1k found myself in 3rd spot.  Sat behind the lad in 2nd by about 50m getting to the turnaround point  a shade under 7 minutes in 6.58. Always try to push it then coming home on the easier section of the course and could see I was gaining although was working it hard. Managed to come in by the steps in a creditable 13.45 right with the 2nd place runner.
Knew I’d worked hard as I was struggling to get the heart rate back down, and seemed to stand on the pool side for ages as did the 2nd place runner. I wanted him to jump in first as I could sit on his feet and he was probably feeling the same way about me. Think we just dived in together in the end and to my surprise he was a worse swimmer then me and was dropped within the first 50m.  The next 250 was a drag and seemed to go for ever, really seemed to struggle and was forced to take a second or two break at the end of each 50 (this was to prove the difference). Despite a poor swim I was NEVER passed for perhaps the first time ever in this type of race and touched out in 19.15 . Absolutely spent as I watched the clock tick over before Craig came in bang on 60 seconds after I did.
So bet lost to Rab C. Nesbitt (the Aussies may need to Google him) , but I was pretty happy to record that time especially for this time of the year. Still think there is at least 15 seconds I can knock off within the swim and transition and if so then it will be game on with the Chairman the next time we meet.
I am organizing our own HuRTS Biathlon on the same course next Thursday for the team, but will do the swim leg first so hopefully that may help as I’ll be out on the run leg before some of the stronger runners & weaker swimmers?

Congrats to Rab C Nesbitt, taking out the Anglo- Scottish bet when he got within the 65 second handicap start by a mere 5 seconds coming home in 20.15 to my 19.15 (geez, i must have been drunk at the presentation when this bet was made?)

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment