Tuesday, October 21, 2014

HuRTS 10 x 3 Minute efforts

Tuesday.
You always know a big race is just around the corner when you rock up to HuRTS and find everyone in attendance.  J.P Morgan is only about 3 weeks away and with City to Surf and perhaps the SMH Half Marathon no other race draws so many out for training. Only 3 notable absentees today that I can really recall – No Clarkey (oh , how he has fallen from the lofty heights going into the  City to Surf), Kanser (oh, how he has fallen…full stop) and no Taffy James (he never actually got off the bottom)
10 x 3 minutes was the go and despite still feeling heavy after the marathon some 9 days prior I was feeling OK and was keen to give it a good hit out. With all the big guns out front I found myself not far behind Macca on the first travelling around 3.24 pace , A slightly faster return and I noticed the ‘Italian Stallion’ Durante following me and sticking close by, although the poor guy only lasted about 6 reps and will need to improve some in the coming weeks if he’s too upset me.
Unfortunately Mikey had to pull the pin at the conclusion of the 3rd rep when his Hammy went and now must be a worry for him for the up-coming race?
Had a good group to work off through the middle reps with Angus Boyd & ‘Super Kev’ who are running well were keeping me more than honest.  Just started to feel the pace a little after the 7th rep, and had to dig in for the 8th.
Then called on Enda to help us out for the 9th and tried to stick to him throughout still maintaining the pace.  Pretty much had done my dash at this point and needed to keep it strong in order to get back to the Opera House gates for the final rep. 57, 58, 59 seconds and I was just about to ‘Give Up’ when Tommy H ran beside me and told me in no uncertain terms to keep it going and finish it off. Squeezed that little extra out and for the remaining two minutes   run shoulder to shoulder with the Chairman and Enda for a 3.12 min/k finish.
Wrecked at the end and after a little cool down with Tom, Barts, Tucks, C.T, Quentin and Russell Chopstick I was happy to get home and retire for an hour before I had to get back on the bike and cycle to Centennial Park that I could have really done without.
Pace for the 10 reps were: 3.24, 3.19, 3.21, 3.16, 3.20, 3.16, 3.21, 3.20, 3.21, 3.12
Very happy with that session and hopefully after a full  weeks recovery from the marathon I can now continue with a good 3 weeks training before the big ‘Corporate’ gig.

Good to see the Stallion back out there as well, I heard he was jumping fences, scaling building walls and pretty much walking on water on the Monday run with the guys? Unfortunately for him there is none of that over the 5.6k route in Centennial. Still Tommy H saw enough to back the ‘Pie Eater’ over me  and he has himself wagered $20 with me ‘head to head’
So Two bets laid.
$20 with Durante
$20 with Kanser
Both off Scratch

Wednesday.
Feeling tired and was mighty relieved when I saw Sonya Van Beek in the park so we just did 2 flat laps easy before she departed. I then stayed on for one more to knock up just over 11k for the day.


Big night tomorrow with the first Biathlon of the season, and the Tommy H v Timmy rematch, To be honest I haven’t a hope, simply on the bases of my swimming – it’s very poor. Still we’ll go and give it a go. Not sure who else is showing? Sonya said she will race, let’s just hope she doesn’t swim over both Tom and I J


Big News overnight comes the news from Sth Africa about Oscar getting sentenced to 5 years in the clink.
They may have a problem though?

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Hey hey, where are the details of my bets laid with you? $20 on Asti Spumante in the head to head at JPM and $20 with me giving you 10s tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete