Thursday, October 23, 2014

Batttle at the A.B.C Bi

It was time for the small talk, banter and sledging to stop and just get out and ‘Do It’ that saw a good team head down for the first HuRTS Biathlon of the year at the A.B.C Pool.
Toed the line alongside Sonya, Sharonne, Sammy J, Paulie Hannell, ‘Georgie the Greek’ Angus, Taffy James and main rival Tommy H who I’ve constantly baited about his swimming prowess.
Frenetic start and was delighted to see Tommy H boxed in that meant the run gap wouldn’t blow out completely, I then got boxed myself  on the first tight left turn and with only a narrow path struggled to get past G.G (Georgie Greek)until after coming back past the starting line at 1k.
The hill coming up to the expressway killed me again and was happy to reach the turnaround in 7.01. That joy was short lived as I then saw Taffy only a few seconds behind and Sammy J, Sonya and Paul far too close for comfort closing in.
Worked hard to try to reduce the gap with Angus who was about 20 metres ahead but couldn’t although did catch two of the frontrunners as we hit back to the steps where the timekeeper shouted out 13.53.
Took my time coming down the stairs and waited….and waited…. And Waited? Not sure why – wasn’t sure if it was to bring the heart rate down or just the thought of 300m scared the bejesus out of me. Finally jumped in (by which time the two I’d just overtaken were already in the pool) and made my way down the pool for the first 50m. Saw Taffy not too far behind and knew I’d be doing well to hold him off for another 100m and so it was as he came past with 100m to go.
Managed to hold his feet for the final 50 and when I saw one swimmer just ahead flapping away  my hopes raised as I thought I may be Tom?  Touched out in 19.35 a few seconds behind the Taffy Lad, My hopes were shattered then when I looked deck side and there is the Chairman grinning like a ‘Cheshire Cat’ basking in his glory already sending the news out via face book that he’d scored another winning $20 from me.
Some great times from the team and Angus Boyd took the honour of first HuRT home and Sonya not only took out first HuRT Female but first lady home overall.
Sammy J run well and will be looking to take me at the next one and Paulie Hannell was already lining up at the pub to get a bet with me come December.
Times were
Angus     18.23
Tom         19.00
Taffy        19.30
Timmy     19.35
Georgie P 19.53
Sammy J   20.xx
Sonya       21.32
Paulie H     22.40
Sharonne    23.57
Ronnie Biggs  D.N.S
Enda                  D.N.S
Paul Hanley    D.N.S
Next race planned will be the rematch on Thursday 11th December , hoping a few of the other guys may step up to the plate and race.  Amazing how many strong runners we have in the squad BUT very few will be brave enough to put it to the test that also includes a mere 300m swim. That’s where despite my constant badgering Tom gains massive respect and never shy’s way from a challenge.

Over to the Tilbury after for a few bevies, cracking night as the beers flowed and banter was in full swing in a packed pub that included Jessica Mauboy all glamed up after doing a corporate gig for the ‘Sony Foundation’.
Was just about to call it a night ( and be sensible) when I get a call from Pommy Paul Birch , who was nearby and wanted a drink. Fast forward 3 hours and it was a stagger to the taxi and another tough first up class to start a Friday morning  J

Some photos from last night – don’t need to put the losing bet photo up as Tommy H already has it posted on his blog .



Winners are Grinners – first lady home Sonya and Tom (with girlie t shirt) after taking the win over me


Tommy H, Taffy James, Sammy J, Georgie the Greek and I before drinks.



Enda was refused entry last night at the A.B.C Pool – when his latest cold broke out


...and then the real reason WHY Enda didn't drop in for a beer with the team last night?
told you he was upset about NOT getting nominated for HuRTS POTY :)

cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment