Monday, April 7, 2014

Striders Lane Cove

Well it’s been a couple of days since the debacle of the Striders 10k at Lane Cove and I still am NONE the wiser why I run so poorly? Had a good weeks training, conditions were OK, and I hadn’t even been on the turps since the previous Friday with the boys.
Picked up Pommy Paul on the way over and did a warm up with him and Tommy H, good to see old mate Rich High out there as well as a couple more of the HuRTS guys in Ben, Justin, Quentin & Dickie High (all from the Dark Side of town), as well as Taffy James who was the man in form on the back of his 6ft Track run 3 weeks back.
The gun goes off and I am conscious of not going out too hard and happy enough with a 3.43 first k, slightly slower on the 2nd and  wasn’t even that concerned when the Taffy came past on the first climb up Scribble’s at the 2.5k mark. Settled as I ticked off the next couple of ks but as soon as the big climb started at around 4.2ks into the race I was in trouble – just about made it to the ‘Gamekeepers Hut’ before the 5k mark before I was reduced to a walk….Oh dear, started up again as I saw the frontrunners already coming in the opposite direction heading for home. Even stopped again at the drinks stop just before the home turn

It was a battle just to run 4 min/ks at this point and I kept thinking that Pommy Paul would be flying past anytime as I seemed to get overtaken by plenty at this stage of the race. By the 9k point in the race and as the clock was about to tick over 36 minutes I knew I had to put the foot down to break the ‘magic’ 40 minute barrier.
Obviously I hadn’t worked too hard in the race as I probably felt the best I had all morning at this point and finished with a time of 39.32 for a last kilometer of 3.37

So, not the run I was after. As i’d had a good few weeks training and I thought I was capable of running 37.45? Still, back to the drawing board and just need to keep getting out there.

Drowned my sorrows on the Saturday evening with a few jars out with the Taffy Lad, a few too many to be honest as I was in all sorts of strife yesterday (didn’t’ even get out for Sunday drinks).

I think everyone’s times were down a little overall with Tom the best placed in 4th, and most others between the 36-38 minute mark, Solid hit out for Pommy Paul who broke 41 a week out from his Canberra Half.


Had a good coffee post race …….At all places the local Cemetery can you believe? Taffy, Pommy Paul and I were greeted by granny who looked like she had been dug up and possibly dished up the worst coffee to go with it. The tap water I swear she had got from the flower bowl. Still it gave us a chuckle or two.

Big news is that Taffy Lad has gone all ‘One Direction; on us, he thinks he is a rock star with his new FLASH motor, got out at the cemetery with his tinted glasses and wearing a beanie (despite it being over 30 degrees) what’s all that about?


Monday. Ventured into town and run with the guys, good showing with Mikey returning from injury, Enda back after his week of eating Dogs B@lls, and even Warrior Charlie was out having a chat (and giving me a serve), No sign of Tommy H though and gave the Endalike excuse that it was too cold and raining for his reason not to run.
All up over 14.5k in 63 minutes average pace 4.29s
Felt good and great conditions to be out to start the week


North Shore Boys Benny (38.31) Dickie Green (37.51) and Justin Bromley (37.18)



Tommy H after a rare victory over Quentin - and he wasn't slow to tell us that is is # 1 .....Well on the North side anyway.



Old HuRTS favorite Richie High with the Welsh Wizard Taffy James.



Pommy Paul looking pleased with his mornings efforts ...... Not running but demolishing about 9 Hot X Buns post race.



Taffy James going all One Direction ' Harry Styles' on us with his new motor.

Will be back out in the morning with hopefully some speed work around Centennial Park

cheers

4 comments:

  1. I think the session you did on Thursday was too much too close to the race and was probably still in your legs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feck, you know things aren't going well when Enda starts becoming sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Frank Dearn passed you on the uphill you were running so bad Timmy. HTFU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Young Timmy, Timmy Timmy!
    What is with the walking in a race?

    ReplyDelete