Thursday, April 17, 2014

Royal Rushcutters - 5 x 800s + 3k Tempo

Well no sign of any of the Royal’s (William & Kate) at the Oval today but it really was a special session with another double header set and a good showing with big numbers. Good to see Lady Laura back, as was the Sweaty Sock, and even Mikey Conway’s  best mate ( Mr. Beefy Burger?) took the opportunity to run with us whilst Mikey is out of town. (Please don’t tell Mikey)
Tommy H took up the batten and took the session letting everyone know it was 5 x 800m followed by a 3k tempo to finish us off.

After marking out a course for the team we broke into two groups with the Chairman and Tucks pretty much leading from the front as I sat in with, Benny O’B, Dom, Angus and Irish’s big hope Super Kev not far behind. Felt surprisingly good on the first rep coming home in 2.54 for the near on 900m rep (3.12s). From there on in it was kept very consistent throughout as I tried hard to stick with lads, with Laura on the comeback trail not far behind.
With the first part of the session done it was here that I thought Tommy H was going to explode in rage when I suggested a NEW 1k course around the outer of Rushcutters to do the 3k Tempo (x3) instead of another 8 laps of what we had just done.  I gave everyone the option of staying or joining me for option ‘B’ and when the ‘rebels’ all joined I could see steam coming from the Chairman’s Head.
I must say it felt loads better in truth as we broke into 3 groups and despite the 800s already in the bag I was still moving relatively easy.
I was looking to run at 3.45 pace but came home in 10.42 (3.37 per/k) Very happy with that especially after a hard week.
Tom and Tucks were making it look easy out front, Angus is running well and the Irish team is starting to take shape with Super Kev ahead of me for every rep, and Irish Lass Jacqueline O’Conner making a statement keeping Pommy Paul in check much to the disgust of Tom and I (another who will need to lift his game once he gets that English Cap on in 4 weeks time)

Times for the day – was measuring 900m. 2.54, 2.55, 2.56, 2.55, 2.56, 3k tempo rep in 10.42 (3.37)

Great session overall and as I said last time around I hope to see these type of workouts on the HuRTS calendar a bit more frequent.

Big weekend ahead, I think I’m heading over to Manly tomorrow for drinks with Slim Sammy and Tommy in the afternoon with Sammy out celebrating the fact Palace will stay in the Premier league next season after winning overnight,
Will try to get out for the important Sunday long run as well.

In the footy, its Taffy James turn to feel the wrath of the Mighty Potters as Stoke take on Cardiff. I need a win to stay in with a chance of taking out the Mediocre Cup that we have been playing for all season.
Timmy’s Tip ……. (Hate to say it)  Cardiff 2 vs. Stoke 2 looks like I’ll have to settle for a point.

Have a great weekend
Enjoy the Easter break, and remember any leftover chocolate NOT eaten can be brought to HuRTS training next Tuesday, I’ll be more then happy to take it off your hands.

And finally, whilst your scoffing your faces on the Sunday, pick up the national newspaper (in the Escape section)……… you may find a familiar name within the pages J

Train safe
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment