Friday, December 20, 2013

5k Time Trial 18.34 - Flat as a Tack

A pretty good and solid weeks training left me feeling very tired even before the start of today’s session that I had planned. Wanted to do the 5k time trial that I have been doing over the past 5-6 weeks to see how my progress was coming on, unfortunately today wasn’t really the day to try it as I felt as flat as a tack pretty much from the 1st k. It wasn’t helped by the high winds around the park, although in truth I could have had a 100 mile per hour TAILWIND and it wouldn’t have helped that much.
Forgot the GPS as well although I know where the markers are for each k, and only went through the first one around the 3.36 mark, just couldn’t get going at all and had a thousand negative thoughts running through the head the entire way. Almost felt as if I gave up around the 3k mark and consigned myself to running about 4 min per/ks to get home around the 20 minute mark but just tried to see it out and got a little relief when I turned for home with 600m to go and found a nice tailwind to get me to the line in 18.34
Looking at the time it wasn’t as bad as I thought – as the fastest I’ve done (since coming back) is 18.20 and that was with Kanser and Taffy James helping me along the way albeit slightly ahead, and the last time only a couple of weeks back I did exactly the same time solo and reading the blog then I was feeling pretty good about that run…very strange.

So even more confident now that I can go sub 18 mins feeling a little fresher and I can keep the consistent training going over the Xmas and New Year break.

Suppose to get out in the morning with the team for a long run BUT will decide on that later, feel as if I need a sleep in at some point after a full week of early starts, plus it will be another late one this evening after the radio gig and also watching Stoke turn over the Villa in the early hours of Sunday J
No sign of Kanser again this morning, think he’s struggling big time to be honest and not letting on just how bad his injury really is. Think he would be foolish to even try to run a marathon in mid Jan now as he clearly hasn’t done the work for it. There has been a little money laid down though on whether or not he can knock over my 3.09 Berlin time amongst certain members of the HuRTS boys………now that could be a challenge for the kid? J

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment