Saturday, May 2, 2015

Striders / State 10k Homebush - 37.29

The May Striders 10k also doubles up for the State 10 at Homebush always brings the masses out to Homebush and with a fast course it normally guarantees a few fast times &  PBs along the way – and today was no exception.
Rolled up early to be greeted by a massive queue just to collect the bibs, a few quick words to the powers that be  and Birchy ,Enda and I soon had ours on and were heading out for a warm up. Saw plenty of the team along the way and after a nervous wait/delay we were away.
Very fast start as everyone flew for the first km, I have a quick glance and see 3.23, far too fast and try to settle after that. Have ‘B Grade Binfield come past soon after and try to stay with him but soon realize he’s moving well and fall back as I see the 2nd km in 3.34
Pretty much hold on for the next two, and coming back up the hill at 4k I get a tap from Rich Mullaney who offers plenty of encouragement to go with him and sit on his shoulder. He helped big time on the tough section but unfortunately I wasn’t  able to go and that was the last I saw of him.
Julia Degan was the next just about half way and thought I could stay with her? Sadly another fail on that score , but I was trying to stay positive and even though I was struggling Jeet who was just in front never looked like getting away from me.
The final hairpin at 7k was pretty much the finish of me as I was battling just to hold 4 min/ks, and upon the turn I could see Pete Walker getting too close for comfort only about 20m behind. Tried to lift but had nothing and when that final hill comes that leads you back into the stadium I really had to dig deep to keep Pete at bay as I knew once back on the track I had the kick on him for the shorter stuff.
All in the head I reckon, as when I got to 200m to go I was able to kick for home and open the gap even more to finish in with 37.29

Very disappointed once more with the overall time, as I really thought today was going to be a sub 37 day? I’ve done the training BUT it’s certainly not showing in the races. Still, It is what it is and I won’t lose any sleep over it, there’s always other races and perhaps I’m just not as serious or as motivated by it all as I have been in the past?
What upset me was if I could have stayed with Richie M I would have got home in 36.12, or even at worse Julia Degan with 36.40… my predicted time.
Went through half way in about 18.15 but fell to pieces in the 2nd half as my 1k splits can testify;
3.23, 3.34, 3.33, 3.42, 3.49, 3.47, 3.50, 3.56, 3.57, 3.45
I will definitely continue with the tempo runs and see if I can improve any before the SMH Half in two weeks but will then take a month of whilst I head away for a Mikey ‘ Well Earned Break’

Some absolutely cracking runs out there today, the front two – Barts and Tommy H (PB) never disappoint running 32.04 & 32.07, Macca proved how tough he was and took out the Irish Crown again, the N.O.T.B boys/girls run well with Craig Mac, Justin, Erika  and Jamie Stewart all recording respectable times. The Leech will be happy as will Angus and there were PBs galore for the ‘The Sweaty Sock, Darren Jordan, and the big bloke Biggsy. Jeet was upset with his 37.00, Birchy (with NEW hair tints) was average, Hoey was below par, and #1 Renee couldn’t get under 40 minutes either.
As mentioned plenty of good runs but the Timmy run of the Day goes to the Biggsy on his 35.xx big PB – well done mate.

On the betting front – lost out once again to Tommy H despite having a 4.40 start,  took $20 from Kanser who never fronted and that was about it.
Just on that, Some of the boys really do need to take a good look at themselves – getting tired of many coming to me and wanting a big start/ or only offering me a small handicap. Spare me …. I’ve been working on me running 37.00 minutes (something I’ve not broke for over 12 months) and offer all bets on that time. Tommy H is the fairest man in the world – always offers a decent bet and despite me putting all his kids through school lately it’s NOT from being rorted, more me not holding my end of the bargain up.
I had the ‘Sweaty Sock’ following me around (like a bad smell) wanting 2 and even 3 minutes start from me today – I offered him 40 seconds then 60 and he still wouldn’t take it only then to finish some 38 seconds behind….WTF
Enda is another, (and the King of it) again I knew I would run 37.00 and him 35.15 – so offered 1.40 (and 1.55) , he didn’t take and runs 34.30…WTF
The Leech offered him 1.15 handicap, he didn’t take and runs 35.02 ….WTF
Pete Walker offered him scratch bet , he wanted 60 seconds, I beat him by 4 seconds ….WTF

The list goes on – so I have compiled a League of Shame, the Top 10
1.       Enda Stankard
2.       Micky Ho
3.       The Leech
4.       Craig Wiseman
5.       Richie Palmer
6.       Pete Walker
7.       Paul Hanley
8.       POD
9.       The Champ
10.   Crossy Lad (only offering me 3.30 on the last race – shocking)


Anyway on a lighter note, Tommy H despite not getting the Timmy Run of the Day, wasn’t going to come away from Homebush without some sort of accolade. The Fashion Crime of the Day’ …… See him rolling around the warm up in his ‘Slim Fit’ Milk Tray Black Sweater, OMG, what was he thinking?



Tommy H dressed today for the part of the new 'Milk Tray Man'

Some of the team (l-r) Macca, Bruce, Biggsy, Erika, Hoey, Timmy, Birchy, Laura, Justin, Enda, C.T, Kanser, Ana and Jeet.


HuRTS #1 and 2 - Renee and Erika - Sadly Erika can't claim the fastest in the household after hubby run 36.50

i must have known something pre race - with Run of the Day & King of the Rorters.... Biggsy and Enda.


A queue to pick up your big was bigger than what is seen at premier side Crystal Palace on a Saturday arvo.

Long run in the morning - back on the horse
Cheers

Results.


3 comments:

  1. You wouldn't believe the number of compliments I received on my figure flattering black run top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes for sure, mostly from all those up on Oxford St i'm tipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mate you went through 2k in 6:57 and 3k in 10:30. Check out your last 2k interval heart rate stats and you will see you are running at close to 160-170bpm for the first 3k! A bloke your age has a theoretical maximum HR of 172 but given you are a trained athlete who can run at 90% of max then you should not be going out at a HR over 155. Your problem is you are developing too much acid in the first 3k which is causing your fatigue. Mate run at target pace (3:42) for the first 3k and you will break 37m for sure. Save your fastest K for the final one when acid build-up doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete