Saturday, March 7, 2015

North Head Striders 37.34

I’m back, bigger, better and stronger……. Unfortunately the same can’t be said for my racing.

And so it was out over the bridge to North Head Manly for the 2nd Striders 10k, massive turnout again from the gang and after travelling over with Taffy James (YES he was even on time) and a warm up with Macca I was then promoted to chief drinks station man after the Highnam kids went out on protest and never fronted.
All the guns were out today so fast times were anticipated. I decided to chuck the watch for a change and run on feel and after a few solid weeks training I was in good spirits.
It’s always a fast start so was keen to hold back a little and soon settled in a nice group with the likes of Jeet, Asian Dave, first lady Julia Degan and another of the Chinese twins that are always around. Could see the two North Shore boys( Dicky G and  Justin) holding hands slightly ahead but was happy to sit for the time being. Was feeling OK, but (and I don’t know why) both Jeet and Dave somehow had got 30 metres on me without realizing…... talk about going to sleep.
Coming back to the Stone Gates I was now running solo and had a good look at those behind me to check how far I was ahead, Taffy was close, and was surprised that Warrior Charlie wasn’t even that far back at halfway. Sensed that the 2nd and 3rd girl were homing in as well and at 6k I was struggling. Amy (2nd girl ) was now on my shoulder but that meant she was at least keeping me honest through ks 7 & 8. I tried to lift at the 9k mark but had nothing and when she came past just before the Stone Arch for the final time I was almost at breaking point. It’s a strange sport is running though, as something then kicked in to say ‘bugger this, race on’ and I somehow found an extra gear and kicked it for home up the 300m hill to the finish line. OK it wasn’t pretty but it proved effective as I crossed out in 37.34 beating her home by a couple of seconds.
So, the wash up- 4 weeks of solid training and I finish in exactly the same time as what I did at Homebush in race 1 – how’s that work ?  Not sure if no watch helped or hindered? And once more I was too quick to settle for the easy pace when the going got tough what was disappointing. Still, we carry on and hope it will all come right J

As predicted the times were good today, and I have to take my hat off to Barts, sensational run and the boy is on fire with another 32.19 (?). I’ve give him stick in the past but I’ll admit he is the NEW HuRTS #`1 without doubt at the moment (Tommy 2 and Quentin 3). My mate Tucks won’t like it one bit, but I’m afraid he’s done nothing to warrant even a top 5 place at the moment and I’m siding with Tom on the importance of all these walkathon events beating the likes of Elvis the Taxi Man? In fact I’ll go one step further and say I think that it’s unlikely that Tucks will ever come back to match it with the lads in a road 10k any time soon?
Solid efforts from the boys and perhaps non better for the 2nd month running then ‘The Chinese Detective Michael Ho – who run with Tom all the way and smashed another 30 seconds from his PB. Macca reclaimed the Irish crown after Enda was up all night with worry and didn’t front.
On the betting stakes, Good morning all around (even if some of it was be default  - they know the HuRTS ruling) , Lost out to Tom (minus 4.15 ) again and think I’ve nearly put young son Charlie through school with the amount I’ve paid to Tom’s account in recent times.  Won $20 from Taffy after giving him an 80 second buffer (he came home in 40 plus), $20 from Jeet who couldn’t beat me by more than 51 seconds (had 60) , and Paulie Hanley never fronted (soft @r$e) after I give him a massive 2.30. No sign of Laura either who I generously gave 90 seconds and as stated Enda worried himself sick and left poor Birchy standing like a ‘Shag on a Rock’ waiting for a lift that never showed.

Finished off with a top breaky at some joint in Manly , pretty good to be honest with the Bacon and Eggs rolls hitting the spot, us boys usual drink coffee with it although it seems those North Shore boys drink some “”kale’ Green Muck…. Not sure what that’s about , will post photos  later.
Around to the Chairman’s after with Taffy James where daughter Maggie outdid herself on Tea duties (would put Kanser to shame ) as we chewed the fat over Taffy’s 6ft race next week, with us both predicting he won’t get anywhere near his sub 4hrs.

Not the best of mornings race wise , but a cracker all the same with the team ……. Even if I did have to travel to the Dark Side.

Cheers

25 years its taken to find a half decent running photo - and i was only warming up :)

It wasn't to last long - the final 200m


With some of the team, Barts, C.T, Q, Hoey and Taffy.



No comments:

Post a Comment