Monday, February 2, 2015

3 x 3k reps .... At Race Pace?????

I’m loving these conditions, a lot cooler, slight rain with the odd shower and no humidity make it so much easier to run. I copped a serve from the ‘Chairman’ recently after I’ve been doing the 2 x 3ks reps and him telling me it ‘won’t cut it’ and needed to be doing 3 x 3ks so today in perfect conditions ‘I Manned up’ and did the extra.
A flat 4k warm up then it was straight into it, an unusual  slight headwind for the first k  kept my time down a little, but I suppose it stopped me going out to fast, held well through 2ks and then got the tailwind back for the usual tougher 3rd k coming around near Fox Studio gates.
Best part of a 700m floating recovery before repeating, and although keeping it under control actually went 6 seconds faster. This is where I normally find excuses (or POD to talk to ) and call it a day but after a 2nd 700m float I was keen to go again.
Started to feel the pace about half way but dug in and happy to say that I was only 3 seconds down on the 2nd rep.
Pretty consistent for the morning, and was working hard but hopefully it was a controlled set – and the fact I did 3 reps must stand me in good stead.
15ks all up for the morning.

I must have upset the Chairman Tommy H somewhere along the way? The normally mild mannered and FAIR Geordie lad has gone all Endalike’ and is not coming to the party in regards to wagering a fair bet for this Saturdays Striders 10k. Negotiations have stalled and we could be heading into the first race of the season without our customary $20 if he doesn’t see sense. Tried to tell him that he is in form, I’ve yet to register a decent time in over 2 years , unable to break 37 minutes last year, yet he is still bulking……. Very strange???

Will knock out a few midweek ks in the park in the morning, might see what the BRAT /Hardmen are up to, probably won’t see the Irish lads Hanley or Stankard if there is a sprinkling of rain I bet?

Been taking in a few movies of late and in the ‘Old Kanser’ like way I can recommend the following.
1.       Marvellous – Absolute cracker, Based on a true story set in my home town that follows Neil ‘Nello’ Baldwin a man that shrugged off his perceived limitations and went on to become a true legend at Stoke City F.C and what manager at the time Lou Macari still says was his best signing ever made. The story of a man with learning difficulties without a care in the world, when you see it you will also just fall in love with him. Top movie and such an icon, (wish he was there when I was playing).   A low budget kind of movie , made for T.V but  watch it if you can ( I have it on disk if you want)
5           boxes of popcorn out of 5 for this one  - and did I mention it was filmed in Stoke ??


2.       Grand Budapest Hotel, - Very strange this one, about a concierge at a big European Hotel and follows the adventures of him and his most trusted friend the lobby boy. This movie had it all , funny, sad, gruesome, action and had ALL the stars in it with a ‘Who’s Who’ list
Decent movie that has many predicting big things come Oscar time, I wouldn’t put it on that pedestal but enjoyable all the same
3.5   boxes of popcorn for this one



3.       Calvary – Irish movie set in Sligo. About a priest (when isn’t it in Ireland?) who is threatened during a confessional and how he copes with the conflict.  Very good movie that stars the only actor they have over there – Brendan Gleeson, (this guy pops up everywhere) good scenery as well. 4 boxes for this one

4.       Brick Lane – Older movie this one (2007) and actually watched this one whilst the Asia Cup final was on Saturday.  Another good one about a Bangladesh girl who comes to East London in the 80s for an arranged marriage and a new life leaving her loved sister behind. It shows how she copes with the struggles and in particular her middle aged, set in his ways hubby.
Another excellent movie, a little sad at times and nearly had the tissues out at one stage.
4 boxes of popcorn out of 5 (not to mention far better entertainment than watching those Socceroos) J

Cheers



1 comment:

  1. 'Check out www.rainiertamayo.com
    Great movies Timmy David Kane....birdman American sniper etc

    ReplyDelete