Sunday, November 23, 2014

BRAT Sprint Tri - 7th in 68.09

Missed the Sunday long run again due to work commitments but still managed to knock out 40ks on the bike before going to do one of the dumbest things I’ve done throughout the year.
Despite it being over 30 degrees I decided I’d go and do my first triathlon in over 12 months down at Heffron Park in the BRAT club race. With an 11.30am start it was perhaps the hottest part of the day by the time the run leg was to come and boy was I to suffer.
The swim leg was a nice relief and was happy to sit in with one of the boys from the Wednesday Hardman, David ‘Sugar’ Ray. Never really pushed it and was happy to exit the pool in about 13.28 on my watch before the first of 10 laps (20k ) on the bike. Felt I was riding solo the who way as most who cycle about the same pace were at least 2 minutes out the water before me. Did manage to catch Jason Heyden on lap 7 so I mustn’t have been travelling that badly as I know he’s not a dummy on the bike.
Off the bike in a solid 34s minutes roughly, but couldn’t believe that my back seemed to have locked up after sitting down in the tri bars and struggled for the first 100m at least. Held a decent pace on the first lap of the 3 lapper, but once I started the 2nd I was struggling. Pace went from about 3.35s to about 3.48s and I was hardly moving upon completion of the 2nd lap. The 3rd was just torture with the heat and just putting one foot in front of the other was a challenge in itself. To make matters worse the GPS packed in so had no idea of time or pace (although in truth I was past caring at that stage)
Ambled across the line in 7th position overall in 68.09, which in the scheme of things wasn’t that bad, at best -  I can normally do these races around 64-65 so I’ll take that for my first race of the season in that killer heat.
Race results

Never have I enjoyed the Sunday arvo beers as much and I reckon the first half dozen barely touched the sides and were certainly well earned after that effort.

Now, I know I’m not the most photogenic person around, In fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen a decent photo on me during any race /events over the years. BUT the one taken of me yesterday at the BRAT tri just about takes the cake.
Looks like I’ve just been shot and the agony only really tells half the story…… and to make it worse, I still had to go and do another bloody lap J Shocker.


Ohhhh GOD,Goneski ........ and i still had another lap to go :)

Monday was a rest day and decided to take myself for a much needed massage, Hopefully i'll have recovered enough for the Tuesday speed work.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment